Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

adoutte
Frequent Visitor

Allow users to duplicate reports into their workspace for customization

Hi,

I'm trying to achieve the following :

- give users access to a group of reports

- prevent them from modifiying the originals

- allow them to save a modified copy in their workspace

If I create an app, they can only view the reports, and they don't have the ability to modify them and save their customized dashboards in their workspace

If I invite the users to a workspace, I either give them the right to modify the originals, or prohibit any customization

Basically, I'd like a workspace where the reports are 'read only', but with the possibility for users to modify them and 'save as' elsewhere.

Is this possible ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
adoutte
Frequent Visitor

Upon further reading, it seems that what I'm trying to achieve was possible through 'content packs' :

https://pbiwebprod-docs.azurewebsites.net/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-organizational-content...

Users had read-only access to the content pack, but could make a copy of it and edit the reports inside.

Content packs seem to be deprecated. 

Is it possible to achieve the same behaviour with apps or workspaces ?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@adoutte - What was your final conclusion on this / what did you end up doing?  I had the same question as you, and found this thread. 

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi adoutte, 

Unfortunately App workspace doesn't support this feature currently, you can use organizational content pack instead.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

I successfully sent a content pack to a user.

However, content packs don't appear in Appsource or the 'shared with me' tab.

The user has to specifically click on the 'content pack' menu :

2018-10-25 11_41_26-Power BI.jpg2018-10-25 11_22_40-Find and connect to organizational content packs - Power BI - Power BI _ Microso.jpg

Furthermore, every documentation on content packs has the above message.

Are content packs being deprecated ? How long will they remain available ?

Hi adoutte,

Yes, you can't found content pack report in appdatasource and share with me. But you can make a copy of reports in your content pack and edit. In addtion, still haven't received such plan about when the content pack will be deprecated? You can take a look at power bi announcement to achieve the latest info. If you have no other concern, could you please kindly mark one answer to finish this thread?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

adoutte
Frequent Visitor

Upon further reading, it seems that what I'm trying to achieve was possible through 'content packs' :

https://pbiwebprod-docs.azurewebsites.net/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-organizational-content...

Users had read-only access to the content pack, but could make a copy of it and edit the reports inside.

Content packs seem to be deprecated. 

Is it possible to achieve the same behaviour with apps or workspaces ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors