Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Arnaud_R
Helper II
Helper II

Allow users to build new content using the underlying datasets

A new feature is now possible to select when sharing a report : Allow users to build new content using the underlying datasets.

What is the status for the previously shared reports ?

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

What if I just want the users to read the Apps and download/export the data but not edit it?

I think it's an important feature to not give build permissions to the users while giving them the permission to view the reports/dashboard in an Apps workspace and download the content if they want.

As of now  for Apps, you need to enable "Allow all users to connect to the apps underlying datasets using the Build Permission" in order for users to be able to export data from the visuals. If this is not selected then they will not be able to export data from the reports - even if the export is enabled. 

Microsoft should change this feature in future versions as it's not helpful.

roselilly23
Advocate V
Advocate V

I have found that with new apps, for Apps you need to enable "Allow all users to connect to the apps underlying datasets using the Build Permission" in order for users to be able to export data from the visuals. If this is not selected then they will not be able to export data from the reports - even if export is enabled. This is the same for sharing reports. 

Here is more info on your specific question:

"When you uncheck this option, new users you add to the app are no longer given the Build permission. However, existing permissions on the underlying datasets don't change. You can use the provided user interface to remove the Build permission manually from app users who should no longer have it. Read more about the Build permission." 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-create-distribute-apps

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-datasets-build-permissions#build-permissions-for-s...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since the release of shared datasets, I have found that all of the consumers with permission to access Apps that I have published had now been provided rights to both view the App (Dashboard/Reports) and Build reports from the dataset published in the App.

By default, I would have much preferred to maintain a read-only type access for those App consumers and specifically choose who I would provide the Build permission to.

I have since updated the permissions on all of my datasets that were published as part of an App to remove the Build permission from all of the consumers.

jar2019
Helper I
Helper I

This is a feature with the new workspace. Essentially if you have shared your workspace with someone they can use the power bi dataset source and grab your dataset and use it. But, if security is a concern then they shouldn't be given access to your workspace to begin with. (Not sure if that is why you are asking) Just search the documentation on power bi dataset and its application. 

@Arnaud_R wrote:

A new feature is now possible to select when sharing a report : Allow users to build new content using the underlying datasets.

What is the status for the previously shared reports ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors