Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

waltonb
Frequent Visitor

Allow Pinning of Shared Content to a NEW Personal Dashboard

Hello,

As part of our PowerBI deployment, we are servicing multiple levels in our organisation from single reports. 

We have 10+ individual reports, each report has minimum 5xtabs, each tab has minimum 4xgraphics per page.  Each tab has a mininim of 4 user selectable filters.  Excluding the variations the filters could introduce, users have access to 10 x 5 x 4 = 200 PowerBI graphics.

It is impossible to create a "standard" dashboard, as each user has a different area of focus, so they don't need each graphic and only needs a subset of the graphics to support their daily activities.   Especially when the reports are included in single workspace, shared with 200+ users.

If we allow users to edit PBI content, each user could create their "own" dashboard, but this would be saved within the Shared workspace, resulting in the workspace containing 10+ reports and 200+ dashboards, which would make the workspace nearly impossible to navigate and manage.

I'm looking for a way each individual to create a NEW personal dashboard stored in thier own personal workspace, which references the relevant graphic from the appropraite report from the shared workspace.

All of my research has indicated this functionality is not availble, however, a suggestion <here>was submitted to Microsoft 13-Jan-2015 and marked as "under review" since 24-Jan-2015, yet there doesn't appear to be a clear resolution to the idea...comments from 04-Aug-17 still indicate the funcitonality is missing...

This seems like a great way to maximise the value from PowerBI for various users and busiensses and an update on status/progress/ETA would be appreciated to allow PBI Devleopers manage expectations of our users.

Thanks.

Braden.

4 REPLIES 4
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @waltonb,

Have you tried the solution provided by @GilbertQ above? Does it work in your scenario? If it works, could you accept it as solution to close this thread?

If you still have any question on this issue, feel free to post here. Smiley Happy

Regards

Hi @GilbertQ & @v-ljerr-msft,

I have considered @GilbertQ suggestion, but haven't content packs been superseeded by "apps" ??  Whilst I understand using content packs would technically work, I feel it is a quite inefficient approach driven by a limitaiton within PowerBI...simialrly, this will result users having multiple versions of the content pack, the "personalised" one (or copy) which they use to create a personal dashbaord and the "current" controlled version that is updated periodically.  When updates happen, these two versions will endup out of sync and become nearly impossible to manage.

Why can't users create a personal/private dashboard from the shared dashboards??

I do not want the personal/private dashboards accessible by others and I want the personal/private dashboards to be saved wihtin the users MyWorkspace, so they don't clutter up the group workspaces.

One of the many ways to maximise value from these interactive reports is to allow users to build personalized dashbaords from controlled reports, thus ensuring they get the pre-filtered information/data critical to them, without the need to drill-down through the PBI reports.

The initial query related to requesting an update from Microsoft on the status of a suggestion that has been under-review since 24-Jan-15 and I'm ken to understand the long-term solution to a clear gap in core functionality.

Thanks for your inputs and I'll be evaluating the pro's/cons of @GilbertQ suggestion until a better approch is available.

Cheers.

Braden.

Hi Braden - Have you any success on this issue yet? My firm is experiencing the exact same need.

Thanks! Joe

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @waltonb

Have you looked at using the Organizational Content Packs?

In doing it in this way they can download the Organizational Content pack. After which they can then make a copy of the Organizational Content Pack. And from there can create their own Dashboards.

Once they create their own Dashboards they can then share that with other users in the Organization?

Here are more details around Organizational Content Packs: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-organizational-content-pack-tutori...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors