Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

NAX
Frequent Visitor

All dashboards now show "This dashboard contains Power BI Pro content"

Hi,

I have several dashboards that are shared that suddenly started showing the message "This dashboard contains Power BI Pro content. Only users that have Power BI Pro will have access to it". Nothing changed on those reports so I can't tell which specific content is Pro content.

I even tried to create a new simple one with a local dataset coming from an excel file, no updating and apparently no Pro content and I get the same message when trying to share.

Is this happening to anyone else? Is it a bug or has sharing towards Free users become disabled now?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@NAX,@chrislbs

We have reported this issue internally to Power BI Team: CRI 36585546.

And this issue should has already been fixed now. Could you please try it?

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
braypa
Advocate II
Advocate II

Went to share Dashboards this morning and receiving this message on all Dashboards, regardless of content. 

@braypa Are you a free user? I would assume, "yes". The changes that came with the announcement of Premium in early May included removing all sharing from the free license. You will need to either sign up for a free trial, or you should have been prompted to accept a free 1 year pro trial.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Receiving this message when I try to share a Dashboard that is linked to a report with one page, that was built with one data source-- a plain text file with one input value.  Newly created Dasbhoard and report, zero powerbi pro content, still receiving the Pro content warning when I hit share.

NAX
Frequent Visitor

It seems the change in the licensing options is that now you need a pro account just to be able to SEE a dashboard that has been shared with you. It is all very confusing now.

@NAXThis thread was the FAQ and all the questions people had. The changes were designed to simplify the Free vs. Pro

Essentially the changes boil down to this:

Any sharing requires a Pro license for both creator and consumer

Premium license allows for companies to scale, and a Pro+Premium license can share app workspaces with Free users.

Free license - can now basically use all the old Pro features. Gateways all datasources, etc. but there is no way to share company data safely. (Publish to Web is available for free user, but not safe for private information)

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thank you Eno1978,
It would have been nice if I had received an email saying so. Most of my viewing users are ellegible for the one year trial so we have time to decide on a solution.
We were using PowerBI, despite its limitations, because it was included in Office 365 and that alone made the business case. Now that individual licenses are needed just for viewing the reports, this will probably just shift the balance to Tableau.
I know it's not the time for this now I but Iwould understand paying a much higher authoring license if viewing was free. Individual licenses are an administrative nightmare we shouldn't be forced to deal with.

@NAX What is your use case? How many authors vs. consumers do you have? Along with the launch there were a slew of blogs about comparing Power BI pricing to other competitors and Power BI was still cheaper. Reading the FAQ you will see this brought up, and there is a gap in mid-size pricing tier (depending on how you look at it).

In our case, we are talking about 5-10 content authors that distribute to a variable number of viewing users. Potentially hundreds but probably never at the same time.

That means we could actually work with some kind of shared accounts, where any user creating content would use an authoring license and the report could be viewed by any X users at a time.

If you look at individual license prices $10 a month for power BI is indeed cheaper than $42 for the cloud version of Tableau but since PowerBI is associated to the Office 365 account, every one of our users that had to look at a dashboard for 5 minutes a month would have to pay the license. And we are talking about potentially hundreds of users. With Tableau we could probably use a few licenses and associate them to Citrix users or some similar environment.

And for the authoring if you look at both environments, starting from support to basic functionality, Tableau is way way ahead of PowerBi in almost every feature. 

No actually, paid user of Power BI Pro. Well aware of the license changes. 

Rich_P_G
Helper I
Helper I

I think this is a bug. Ive shared free content (ie no pro functions) with a free user. Works as intended even though I get the error message.

NAX
Frequent Visitor

Thank you.

That would explain not having received any panicking emails because of not being able to access past reports but still it's worrying not being able to identify which supposed elements make it unshareable....

@NAX,@chrislbs

We have reported this issue internally to Power BI Team: CRI 36585546.

And this issue should has already been fixed now. Could you please try it?

Regards,

Charlie Liao

My sharing has returned to normal. Issue resolved.

Hi Charlie,

it seems fixed; it does not show the warning now.

Thank you very much.

chrislbs
Frequent Visitor

I am facing the same problem. No reports of users having problems with access.

@chrislbs@NAX@Rich_P_G Are any of you using a gateway? I've seen that it still works to manually publish and free still works even though documentation statest that the use of a gateway is a Pro feature. Looks like the key was scheduling a refresh, I wonder if they are locking that part down soon.

These were directly published and not to a refreshing system. Data sources are Excel files on my laptop. I don't have a gateway on this account. 

This is getting reported in Issues with several people. Please go up to Issues and upvote this if you are having problems. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors