Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dgolhiardi
Frequent Visitor

After publishing, web refresh instant fails

Hi everyone.

For the last 4 days one of our models ( just one ) stopped refreshing on the web, and we didn't publish any changes to it since two weeks ago.
When we manually refresh it on the PowerBI no errors occur, we are able to publish it with no issues, but when we try a On Demand refresh it takes less than a minute to fail with the message

The gateway operation has been cancelled explicitly by the user or from a timeout.

Solutions that we tried:

• Manually refresh on PowerBI Desktop and publish ( won't refresh on the web though )
  • Re-create the content pack
  • Publish to a different workplace ( and different names )
  • Restore a fully tested backup with old data, and with new refreshed data

No data issues were detected, both the old and the current version refresh just fine on the Desktop just won't refresh on the web.

We are currently out of options as the message is not very clear on what is blocking the refresh. All our other models are working fine and no changes were made to this one before it started failing.

Thanks
Daniel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Just a final update on the matter and some opinions.

tl;dr we had to add a transformation to all of our dates ( they were fine before )

We contacted MS Contact Support for help ( we actually opened 2 concurrent tickets because we were desparate ).

• The solution came after a week and a half of exchanging emails and screen sharing. One attendant knew that was something wrong with dates ( is this a undisclosed bug??? ) and got the query as soon as the MS engineers found one. The other attendant didn't know anything about anything and tried several solutions, mostly involving deleting stuff and putting it back.

Here is the Query
    #"NewStep"=  Table.TransformColumns(
            #"Removed Columns",
                List.Transform(
                    Table.ColumnsOfType(#"Removed Columns", {type date, type nullable date, type datetime, type nullable datetime, type datetimezone, type nullable datetimezone})
                        , (name) => {name, (date) => if date = null or Date.Year(date) < 101 then null else date, Type.TableColumn(Value.Type(#"Removed Columns"), name)}
                )
            )
    in
        #"NewStep"
  • No information was transparent at any moment in time
  • The error message changed during our tests with no changes made ( I guess engineers changed the message, but no release notes whatsoever on that )
  • We got no clue what to do, or that the problem was with our side or MS side ( only in the end we got a hot fix solution )

Felt the need to share the experience, good or bad. I hope PowerBI becomes more transparent on whats wrong.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @dgolhiardi,

The information here is limited. Please provide the Gateway logs. I will try my best to help. Please send me a private message unless you can make it public. 

1. Enable additional logging.

2. Refresh again to gather some logs.

After_publishing_web_refresh_instant_fails

Please be aware of privacy.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I sent you the gateway logs, but I didn't find any abnormalities comparting to a healthy refresh from other model

Hi @dgolhiardi,

Please send me the whole logs. BTW, do you use the latest version of data Gateway. 14.16.6549.2

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Here is the link for the gateway logs

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bCjQ6Ri336sE-fBU5GNz8LVbYZPbJDGm/view?usp=sharing

Updating to the latest version does not work
In the logs we only have warnings in the end

[DataMovement.PipeLine.MashupCommon] Connection string <pi>DSR=**i removed the hash here***</pi> is not a valid M connection string

The refresh still fails under a minute if I try On Demand. On Desktop App manual refresh goes by without errors nor warnings

Just a final update on the matter and some opinions.

tl;dr we had to add a transformation to all of our dates ( they were fine before )

We contacted MS Contact Support for help ( we actually opened 2 concurrent tickets because we were desparate ).

• The solution came after a week and a half of exchanging emails and screen sharing. One attendant knew that was something wrong with dates ( is this a undisclosed bug??? ) and got the query as soon as the MS engineers found one. The other attendant didn't know anything about anything and tried several solutions, mostly involving deleting stuff and putting it back.

Here is the Query
    #"NewStep"=  Table.TransformColumns(
            #"Removed Columns",
                List.Transform(
                    Table.ColumnsOfType(#"Removed Columns", {type date, type nullable date, type datetime, type nullable datetime, type datetimezone, type nullable datetimezone})
                        , (name) => {name, (date) => if date = null or Date.Year(date) < 101 then null else date, Type.TableColumn(Value.Type(#"Removed Columns"), name)}
                )
            )
    in
        #"NewStep"
  • No information was transparent at any moment in time
  • The error message changed during our tests with no changes made ( I guess engineers changed the message, but no release notes whatsoever on that )
  • We got no clue what to do, or that the problem was with our side or MS side ( only in the end we got a hot fix solution )

Felt the need to share the experience, good or bad. I hope PowerBI becomes more transparent on whats wrong.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @dgolhiardi

The one question I have to ask is, is the Gateway on the latest version?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Yes, we made sure the gateway is updated.

Just remembering it's only one of our models that is behaving like this, the others are fine

Thanks.

Are there any other data sources in this model besides the Web Data source?

If there are any other data sources, and those sources do have applied steps in the Query Editor then it will currently not be able to be refreshed via the Gateway.

This is a current limitation, which I do know the Power BI team is working on removing.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

No web data is in use, only PostgreSQL and Redshift.

No errors on the gateway logs also

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors