Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JordanImran
Frequent Visitor

After 3 hours of Hair Pulling - Why 'Publish to Web' wasn't working.

Hi Power BI community,

I hope this is the right place to post this, but I've just spent a very long and frustrating Saturday attempting tofix a problem, and I wanted to post the solution here to potentially help others in the same boat.

Background is that we designed a very simple dashboard that has a 'What If?' parameter, and one which we wanted to 'publish to web'. Unfortunately, we continually ran into 'This Content is Not Available' errors when attempting to publish to the web. (For reference, we are still on a trial of Power BI pro)

I am aware of the limitations of Publish to Web and we made sure we used:

• Static (Excel) data
  • No Row-level security

We ran into a bit of confusion when it came to 'report level DAX measures', and I was very concerned that, by applying DAX operations on the static data (custom columns + measures involving What-if? parameters), we had somehow violated one of the 'publish to web' no-go clauses.

Half a day later and trying to figure out the problem, the issue was with the Workspace.

Publishing reports to My Workspace worked just fine, conversely, publishing to any other workspace (in our case Public Dashboards) didn't work at all.

I'd be interested to know from the Power BI gurus out there why that might be the case. In the meantime, I hope this could help anyone having the same difficulties as me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JordanImran ,

"... (For reference, we are still on a trial of Power BI pro)"

The reason for this problem is because you are "Pro trail user".

As tested, for pro trial user, you can use "Publish to web" in classic workspace normally, but in new workspace, it returns a error "The content isn't avaiable." when you use "publish to web" feature.

--The report is from new workspace

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiYjUyN2ZjYzYtYWY2Yy00NDg3LWFhMjMtZDZlYTY5YjUxMDc2IiwidCI6ImYyZ... 

--The report is from classic workspace

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiNWRhMjM4ODgtZTFkNi00MGZiLTllYTMtZmZlNmZhYmMyYWJlIiwidCI6ImYyZ... 

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JordanImran ,

"... (For reference, we are still on a trial of Power BI pro)"

The reason for this problem is because you are "Pro trail user".

As tested, for pro trial user, you can use "Publish to web" in classic workspace normally, but in new workspace, it returns a error "The content isn't avaiable." when you use "publish to web" feature.

--The report is from new workspace

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiYjUyN2ZjYzYtYWY2Yy00NDg3LWFhMjMtZDZlYTY5YjUxMDc2IiwidCI6ImYyZ... 

--The report is from classic workspace

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiNWRhMjM4ODgtZTFkNi00MGZiLTllYTMtZmZlNmZhYmMyYWJlIiwidCI6ImYyZ... 

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

It could be possibly be with the new publish to web restrictions that apply to workspaces but possibly not to My Workspace?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors