Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ddfreedie
Helper I
Helper I

Advice for the setup

Hi

We have datamarts built and there is a Finance DM coming soon. However there are other teams who require Fin data in their report while Fin team do not want to share all data to all teams and they have rules on who should see what. Below are the suggestions what we have

1. Build Finance datamodel (dataset) and apply RLS and make it as shared model so that other teams can see only data what they want based on the Fin dataset. The only disadvantage what i see here is, Fin DS can have 40 tables. Even if other teams need only one Fin table, they may need to use the entire model

2. Share only that table to the other teams and they will apply RLS for that table. The other teams developers will be able to see all data but end users may not (though this is not recommended by the Fin team. They do not want anyone to see all data)

3. Have dataflows so that they can have RLS and Fin team can apply RLS and share individual tables to other teams. If other teams need Fin DS they can have the complete DS also. But Dataflows do not have RLS.

Do you have any suggestions as to how to handle the pros and cons or any other options..

TIA.

3 REPLIES 3
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ddfreedie ,

It is recommended to separate the development environment and application environment. The problem is RLS is not supported for Dataflow.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Hi. True for the environments.

But the question is about the distribution of data models/data itself among multiple teams and how best to achieve that. 

ddfreedie
Helper I
Helper I

Any suggestions from anyone on this

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors