Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

Advanced Filter

Greetings!

Is there a way to add a filter, select advanced filter, and use more than two qualifiers? I need to filter by a total of four codes and it appears to only allow two. For example, when filtering by manufacturer code, I need to select 062, 140, 439,  and 853 as this particular manufacturer has multiple codes. Is this possible?

Your assistance is appreciated.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

The way I worked around this was to create a lookup table by group representative name. Then I was able to sort this particular group as well as three others. I didn't really need to create a master list but it is the same idea.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
kgohar
Regular Visitor

Dear all, i found a solution to this problem,  in the "Filters" pan, select "filters on this page" tab, rather then "filters on this visuals" this should solve the issue 

uxjam
Frequent Visitor

This "workaround" does seem to work in most cases, but doesn't work for Azure Analysis Services hierarchy fields. Voting for a real >2 advanced filters feature - https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/10144383-more-than-2-values-for-a...

Fabiann
Helper I
Helper I

Hi guys,

I found a much easier way to do this:

I have chosen Basic filtering, then selected all, then searched for each code and unselected it, at the end I got what I  wanted.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I stumbled on a workaround for this limitation of two (2) Advanced Filters.  First I determined the number of filters I needed to get the results I was looking for.  In my case I needed 5 filters.  Instead of choosing "Advanced Filtering", I chose "Basic Filtering" and then chose 5 random selections.  I then switched the drop-down from "Basic Filtering" to "Advanced Filtering" again, and it presented me with 5 filters vs the default of 2.  Be sure not to hit the "Apply" button until you have filled out all 5 of the filters because as soon as you hit apply, any filters that are left blank will dissappear.

Hope this helps....

Is this still working?

Gotta say this worked very well and is probably the funniest UI workaround ever.

Thank you, this worked just fine for me.  6 filters.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Worked like a treat, you've helped so much 

Absolutely fantastic 👍 worked a treat, can't thank you enough for this great helpful hint 😊

Thank you for the tip, worked like a charm

Wow this worked for me. It is truly so pathetic that you have to hack it this way for just a fundamental functionality. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I stumbled on a workaround for this limitation of two (2) Advanced Filters.  First I determined the number of filters I needed to get the results I was looking for.  In my case I needed 5 filters.  Instead of choosing "Advanced Filtering", I chose "Basic Filtering" and then chose 5 random selections.  I then switched the drop-down from "Basic Filtering" to "Advanced Filtering" again, and it presented me with 5 filters vs the default of 2.  Be sure not to hit the "Apply" button until you have filled out all 5 of the filters because as soon as you hit apply, any filters that are left blank will dissappear.

Hope this helps....

This is a great workaround. Exactly what I needed. Thanks for sharing.

It's been one and a half years since this post, but I tried it today and it worked beautifully!

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems to be working. Awesome tip!

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @kcantor, the way that I would solve this issue would be the following:

• If the codes are always going to be the same, I would go into the Query Editor.
  • I would then create a new Custom Column or Conditional Column lets call it ManFactFilter
    • In this Column I would then specify the codes with the output example being Manufacturer 1
    • And the else clause being "Other Manufacturers
  • I would then load this data into my Model.
  • And then I would create a Slicer or in my filters drag in the ManFactFilter column, and then simply select Manufacturer 1

Power BI Blog

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

The way I worked around this was to create a lookup table by group representative name. Then I was able to sort this particular group as well as three others. I didn't really need to create a master list but it is the same idea.

M_Rea
Frequent Visitor

This may have already been solved, but as this thread doesn't have one already I thought I'd add what we do...

In the PowerBi Custom visuals page, there are two visuals we use that work well for multiple advanced filtering: The Attribute Slicer and the SmartFilter.   Both of these will allow you to search for groupings based on values you select, and select multiple groupings to filter the page.  

Keep in mind, this is great to bypass the 2 filter limit in the native program, but if you're looking to group anything more than 20 filters this can get tedious. 

The link to the visuals page is https://app.powerbi.com/visuals/

AhmedIsmail
Regular Visitor

u can use if to get 2 values then u can use the if result to filter 

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

unfortunately, only two values are available in the advanced filter.  The old Power BI supported search in a list of values that was very convenient, but the PBI 2 does not support that anymore so you may have to do a lot of scrolling to multiselect your codes.  Hopefully this experience will get enhanced soon.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors