Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Addition or Deletion of columns dynamically.

Hi All,

Greetings!

Is there any way by which, I can add or delete the columns in a table visual dynamically (Based on Users' Selection) at Power BI Service Level. The report uses the Direct Query Model for the Source conectivity - SQL Server DB 2016.

(p.s. - I am aware that the Transformations are not supported in the Direct Query Model & also, I don't want the users to have the edit access as well).

Your Suggestions/Help are most welcome!

Thanks in advance. 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous 

For the first post I posted before, I was referring you can use the unpivot function to transform the columns, and then display it as Matrix visual, that based on the slicer, you can change the columns dynamically. 

For power bi itself, it's not supported to create a dynamic column/table based on slicer vs filter. I'd like to suggest you create a dynamic measure to instead.

Calculated Column/Table Change Dynamically According to Slicer Selection in the Report.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Anonymous 

Hope the feature is not available yet.

Please refer the link and vote for it.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and click on thumb symbol?

BR

venal.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Venal,

Thanks for Highlighting this. 🙂

But, I am well aware of this fact - as i have already mentioned in my question earlier.

If there is any other possible way to acheive this. (either from Front End or the backend) then please drop your suggestions.

Thanks!

Premisha

v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Let me know if you'd like to get the results like this thread: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/dynamic-update-of-visuals-for-multiple-columns/m-p/873174 

quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dina,

Thanks for the suggestion. 🙂

As I have already mentioned in my question, the report uses the Direct Query Model.

Unfortunately, the "Transform - Pivot" feature is not supported in this data model.

Thanks,

Premisha

Hi @Anonymous 

Pivot is not doable in Direct Query, but I was referring unpivot function 🙂 did you try it?

quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dina,

By Unpivot function, are you reffering to the Union dax function to acheive the requirement ?

Thanks,

Premisha

Hi @Anonymous 

For the first post I posted before, I was referring you can use the unpivot function to transform the columns, and then display it as Matrix visual, that based on the slicer, you can change the columns dynamically. 

For power bi itself, it's not supported to create a dynamic column/table based on slicer vs filter. I'd like to suggest you create a dynamic measure to instead.

Calculated Column/Table Change Dynamically According to Slicer Selection in the Report.

quickly.
SivaMani
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Anonymous,

You can try with Bookmarks feature.

Please refer the below links,

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Toggle-between-a-chart-and-a-table/ba-p/312655

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-bookmarks

Hope it will help you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Siva,

Thanks for the suggestion. 🙂

But, Bookmarks are feasible only when we have a few columns to deal with.

For 2-digit column numbers, firstly, we need to create Addition & Deletion BKs seperately for individual column.

Plus, for giving it a dynamic feel, we have to make BKs for every possible column combination selections by user.

It's a tedious work & will further affect the performance as well.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors