Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Qmars007
Frequent Visitor

Adding new columns on a table in dataflow from Power Bi Desktop

Hello,

I'd like to know if I can add a calculated column to a table in Dataflow, using Power BI Desktop?

The process is as below:

1- Opened Power Bi desktop

2- "Get data"

3- Select "Power BI dataflow"
4- Select the table I want to add a calculated column to it
5- I add that column.
6- Publish the table with the added column, using the "Publish to Power BI" option.
7- Replace the existing table on the "DataFlow" folder using the "Select a destination" option.
8- Open the modified table from the Power BI service.
9- Failure.  On the modified table, I don't see the calculated column 

What should I do? In essence, I was wondering if I can modify a table in Dataflow, using Power BI Desktop as I carry out the majority of my data modelling in Power BI Desktop.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Best,

Q

2 REPLIES 2
JBartlett_DMU
Helper II
Helper II

As of this writing, Power BI Dataflows can only be edited in the Power BI service (i.e. in your web browser of choice).

When you connect to a Power BI Dataflow from Power BI Desktop, you are specifying that Dataflow as the source of data for your current report/dataset. Any changes you make in the Transform Data (Power Query) window of Power BI Desktop are applied as additional steps after the data has already been imported from the Dataflow, so those changes will only apply to the report/dataset you're currently working on, and will not show up in the Dataflow.

If you need to add a new column to a Power BI Dataflow, you'll need to edit it directly in the Power BI service, using the same interface you used when you created it.

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Qmars007 ,

Could you please check if you can see the new column when using the same query in Power BI Desktop?

Please refer to the document to see if it helps you.

Creating computed entities in dataflows 

Check the steps.

If it doesn't work, please provide more details.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors