Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

minh23tran
Helper I
Helper I

Adding members or groups to Row Level Security

Hi,

I was following this tutorial https://youtu.be/qrlq9sZyjug?t=289 and I can't follow it any longer because RLS has been moved to Desktop.

The steps to add a person was to click on dataset's elipse, add email addresses or groups. But since RLS has been moved to Power BI Desktop, how would you do that? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sirui_sun
Employee
Employee

Hello! 

The steps for setting up RLS are:

1. Define the roles in desktop
  2. Upload the PBIX file to the service
  3. In the service, clicks on the dataset's ellipses > Security
  4. Add users to the roles that you created in desktop

Take a look at the Row-Level Security documentation for more information: 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-rls/

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ekimrenrob
Frequent Visitor

Instead of a list of user names, create a list of user emails, separated by semi-colon. Paste those into the "people or groups" text box, click Add, then Save. Don't forget to save! (And I recommend testing this out with a couple emails before doing en masse).

sirui_sun
Employee
Employee

Hello! 

The steps for setting up RLS are:

1. Define the roles in desktop
  2. Upload the PBIX file to the service
  3. In the service, clicks on the dataset's ellipses > Security
  4. Add users to the roles that you created in desktop

Take a look at the Row-Level Security documentation for more information: 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-rls/

This has been changed.  How do we accomplish this using Power BI Desktop?

Version: 2.49.4831.521 64-bit (August, 2017)

MB

I finally figured it out. It requires both power BI desktop (where you go to "Manage Roles" and define the roles) and then the online service, where you add email addresses to the roles you defined in desktop. you have to go to "datasets" and then select the three dots and go to "security" and then you can see the roles you've defined in the desktop, and you can add emails. 

Is there way to add 500 people in one go. Now I'm adding one-by-one, which is tedious job

Hi @Chinoos,

I am also in a position to add nearly 600 users to a security role. Have you found a simple way for this?

Thanks

I'm sorry, I'm really confused and very stuck here! When I follow the directions given in the solution, I still get the same thing "RLS have moved to Power BI Desktop". I'm able to create roles and define them in Power BI Desktop, but there's no way I can see of adding members to those roles. I seem to be stuck in a loop, where Service is telling me to go to Desktop but the instructions say to add members in the service. Please help! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors