Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nirvana_moksh
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Adding member to WorkSpace

Hello All,

I had a doubt to clarify with anyone who has come across this issue and if anyone has any Microsoft documentation in this regard that would be awesome. So I know when a PBI WorkSpace is created a associated Outlook Group is created, along with a SharePoint Site. My undertsanding was that once you add a member to the PBI WorkSpace from the Service that member immediately sees the WorkSpace but is not added to the Outlook Group. Is that true or do members who get added via the Service automatically get added to the Outlook group as well? And is there a way to keep things separate of having members added to the WorkSpace but not the Outlook Group or SharePoint site created for the WorkSpace?

Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @nirvana_moksh,

will the Preview of it going to GA remove the previosuly created Outlook Groups?

I am not sure about this. I have emailed PG to consult with them. Will update reply here once I get any response.

Also, to confirm so there is no way to create a Outlook Group and also a PBI Workspace group and keep the members separate? 

No. Currently, there is no other way.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @nirvana_moksh,

So I know when a PBI WorkSpace is created a associated Outlook Group is created, along with a SharePoint Site. My undertsanding was that once you add a member to the PBI WorkSpace from the Service that member immediately sees the WorkSpace but is not added to the Outlook Group. 

Yes. When you create a workspace, you're creating an underlying, associated Office 365 group. Those workspace members will be added to Office 365 group automatically.

To avoid this behavior, you can create the new Workspace (preview) which won't automatically create an Office 365 group every time you create one of the new workspaces.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I did read the blog about the New preview App Workspace, will the Preview of it going to GA remove the previosuly created Outlook Groups? Also, to confirm so there is no way to create a Outlook Group and also a PBI Workspace group and keep the members separate? 

Hi @nirvana_moksh,

will the Preview of it going to GA remove the previosuly created Outlook Groups?

I am not sure about this. I have emailed PG to consult with them. Will update reply here once I get any response.

Also, to confirm so there is no way to create a Outlook Group and also a PBI Workspace group and keep the members separate? 

No. Currently, there is no other way.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors