Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

robstewart89
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Adding a new report to an existing dashboard - resharing?

Hi - I have an existing dashboard, shared with 40/50 people. I've had to add a new report to the dashboard and delete the one that sat there previously.

I've added Text boxes to the dashboard and added each report as a hyperlink. 

When I go to manage permissions now and check the related content, none of the reports show up. So everyone just has access to the dashboard but not the content. Is there any way to link the users that have been shared the dashboard with the report?

Thanks,

Robert

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @robstewart89

After reviewing your problem, I’m afraid bookmarks or RLS can’t help you to achieve requirement.

As you said, “I've had to add a new report to the dashboard and delete the one that sat there previously”, this is to say you want the user can go to a new report by click on tiles on the dashboard.

As v-yulgu said, adding link to a text box to go to a report only works when the dashboard contains tiles form that report.

Could you consider adding a new tiles from that new report onto this dashboard, so that users can go to that new report from this dashboard by click on this new tile?

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Open up the report and then hit "Pin Live Page" it will ask you if you want to pin to an "Existing Dashboard" or create a new one.

Select "existing dashboard" and select the dashboard you want it added to from the drop down menu, then click "Pin Live".

It will show up in the dashboard and then you need to republish the "App" if its shared as an App. If you all just login and view the same workspace then youre done.

Add Report to Dashboard.JPG

Hi @Anonymous - that's great thanks, it was more that I didn't want a live page on the dashboard, just a text box or image that acts as a hyperlink to a report. If i add a textbox onto my dashboard and then select the link from under Functionality: "Set custom link" tick box then changing the link type to: "Link to a dashboard or report in the current workspace" and selecting my report from the dropdown it all works as expected, but I don't see the report appear under the Manage permissions page.

I've worked around this by taking one of the image visualisations from the report and pinning that to the dashboard.

Hi @robstewart89

I've worked around this by taking one of the image visualisations from the report and pinning that to the dashboard.

a text box or image that acts as a hyperlink to a report. If i add a textbox onto my dashboard and then select the link from under Functionality: "Set custom link" tick box then changing the link type to: "Link to a dashboard or report in the current workspace" and selecting my report from the dropdown it all works as expected

According to your description,could you take "Bookmark" feature into consideration and have a try to see if it satisfy your requirement?

Use bookmarks to share insights and build stories in Power BI

Best Regards

Maggie

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Dashboard-linking-to-a-report-using-only-a-textbox-tile/td-...

This is the exact problem I'm facing. I'm not sure how bookmarks or RLS will help that?

Hi @robstewart89

After reviewing your problem, I’m afraid bookmarks or RLS can’t help you to achieve requirement.

As you said, “I've had to add a new report to the dashboard and delete the one that sat there previously”, this is to say you want the user can go to a new report by click on tiles on the dashboard.

As v-yulgu said, adding link to a text box to go to a report only works when the dashboard contains tiles form that report.

Could you consider adding a new tiles from that new report onto this dashboard, so that users can go to that new report from this dashboard by click on this new tile?

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi Maggie,

Thanks - yeah thats the workaround I have for now is to just pin a tile from the report and it then appears under the shared permissions. 

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

That makes sense. Unfortunately the Power BI service is limited in this regard. If you do it via the method you mention then the report technically isn't part of the published service. Which is why it won't show up in the way you want it to. I used to try and do the same thing with my reporting. Over time realized that I can't really have it both ways. An alternative you might look into is "Row Level Security" this will allow you to take the information contained in the report an pick and choose who sees what. That's what I do now for mine. 

I have 14 groups all that need to only see some of the data so I created 14 security levels and then implemented them.

Might be a good work around for you. Good luck.

Thanks. Yeah I've used RLS successfuly in other reports but there are a fair few receipients I'd need to send this to!

Thanks for replying!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Add the people you need to have access to a mailing group. then give the mailing group the rls it needs, better than doing them 1 by 1 in the security features.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors