Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding a gateway to a PowerBI Dataset (DirectQuery for Power BI datasets)

Hi,

We are trying to use the new preview feature - DirectQuery for Power BI datasets

When publishing the report to PowerBI Service we are asked to configure a gateway for the PowerBI dataset.

Does anyone know how to do this as I can't find any documentation on setting up gateways for the PowerBI dataset?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Anonymous  ,

You can do

1. After publishing to services, you need to select Setting-Datasets through the gear in the upper right corner to connect to the gateway

2. Expand the gateway connection, and verify that at least one gateway is listed, expand the toggle button to view the data source, and then select the "Add to gateway" link

v-yangliu-msft_0-1616144654725.png

3. On the "Data Source Settings" tab on the "Gateway Management" page, and then select "Add

v-yangliu-msft_1-1616144654730.png

4. On the Datasets tab, expand the Gateway connection section again. Select the data gateway you configured, which shows a Status of running on the machine where you installed it, and select Apply.

This is the related document, you can check it out:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-sql-tutorial

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Anonymous  ,

You can do

1. After publishing to services, you need to select Setting-Datasets through the gear in the upper right corner to connect to the gateway

2. Expand the gateway connection, and verify that at least one gateway is listed, expand the toggle button to view the data source, and then select the "Add to gateway" link

v-yangliu-msft_0-1616144654725.png

3. On the "Data Source Settings" tab on the "Gateway Management" page, and then select "Add

v-yangliu-msft_1-1616144654730.png

4. On the Datasets tab, expand the Gateway connection section again. Select the data gateway you configured, which shows a Status of running on the machine where you installed it, and select Apply.

This is the related document, you can check it out:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-sql-tutorial

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello, 

How can i get the username and password for that gateway?, I'm having the same trouble connecting to a Power BI Service dataset using DirectQuery and I'm stuck because i don't know how to get those credentials.

Regards,

M

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

did you follow these steps?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-install

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors