Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lappins

Adding AD security group to Power BI Workspace

I have been successfully adding AD Security Groups to Row Level Security roles in Power BI, except for one group.

When you type the group name, the resulting matches appear in a picklist.  This list appear to only show 10 matches.

If you are adding a user, that is not a problem - keep typing the email address until there are 10 or less matches, then select the relevant user.

My problem is with AD group called "Angus" (it is a geograhical area of Scotland).  But there are also more than 10 users that have Angus as either their forename or surname.  When I type in "Angus", only 10 usernames are shown in the picklist, and not the "Angus" security group.

How can I add the Angus security group to my role?

(It's a very Scottish problem 😂)

2 REPLIES 2
sammijane
Regular Visitor

@v-yalanwu-msft 

I've tried this with Ruki's blog information.  I've used an account with BI admin permissions.  I get the error 

Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod : One or more errors occurred.
At line:18 char:1
+ Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod -Method post -Url “/groups/D056A50D-E8A5-492 ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : WriteError: (Microsoft.Power...werBIRestMethod:InvokePowerBIRestMethod) [Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod], AggregateException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : One or more errors occurred.,Microsoft.PowerBI.Commands.Profile.InvokePowerBIRestMethod2022-10-27 15_25_47-Window.png

v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @lappins ;

With PowerShell, you can add an AD group to Power BI Workspace using the Groups – Add Group User API or Add-PowerBIWorkspaceUser Cmdlet.

What you will need:

• Object ID for the group
    • From Azure Active Directory -> Select Groups -> Select the required Group -> Copy the Object ID
  • Access right to the Workspace for the group
    • Level of Access you want to grant to the Workspace (
      Member, Admin, Contributor, Viewer )
  • The PrincipalType
    • The type of Principal you want to add (
      App, Group, User ) For this example, we want to add an AD Security Group, so we will use Group
  • The Workspace ID
    • From Power BI Service -> Select the Workspace -> copy the ID next to Group in the URL.

https://rukiatu.com/adding-ad-security-group-to-power-bi-workspace-using-powershell/

Power BI Group management using Active Directory roles and PowerShell 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors