cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Added Column in Dataflow Does Not Display ion Dataset or Reports

So I have a dataflow which links to a dataset and then multiple reports in power BI Service. In one of my entities I added a column which i want to use in an existing report. However, this column will not show up in the Service report editor. I have treid refreshing the dataflow and dataset and it did not work. Is there any way to add a column to an entity and have it show up in a report created by the BI webapp? 

The only thing I have gotten to work is downloading the .pbix file and refreshing the data in the dektop app. This added the column. But then I can't republish it to the same location. It instead creates a new data set and a new report. I just want the old report to have the updated column. Please help. 

Thank you

1 REPLY 1
Super User III
Super User III

Your dataset needs to have query definitions that are flexible enough to gracefully handle data source changes. In SQL that would be the equivalent of SELECT * versus SELECT [list of columns].  In CSV data sources you need to manually edit the Power Query code to remove the "Number of columns"  restriction etc.

Does this workspace have an app? If so, did you remember to re-publish the app after each meta data change?

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power BI Super Users!

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite with Arun Ulag

Featured Session: Drive Data Culture with Power BI- Vision, Strategy & Roadmap. Register here https://myignite.microsoft.com #MSIgnite #PowerPlatform #Power BI ​

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

secondImage

The largest Power BI virtual conference

100+ sessions, 100+ speakers, Product managers, MVPs, and experts. All about Power BI. Attend online or watch the recordings.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors