Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wyeack

Add data source linked from Gateway

I have setup a Data Gateway - how do I add this data source to my Power BI report?

5 REPLIES 5
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @wyeack,

First, gateway is used to connect batween data source and Power BI. You can install the on-premises data gateway or the gateway in personal mode. Which gateway do you use? You need to configure the gateway and add data source if you use  on-premises data gateway.  

Then, what do you mean about "I add this data source to my Power BI report"? In my opinion, the gateway is unrelated with data source added my Power BI report. If you want to refresh your on-premises data (data that is not in the cloud), you need the gateway as a bridge. Please share more details. One way in Power BI desktop, you can get data and publish it to service, then you can see the dataset created under DateSets and Reports, you click the name under Reports to edit report using the dataset. Another way, you can get date in Power BI service, and create a report, please review more details for this blog.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi @v-huizhn-msft.

I have an on-premises data gateway installed in enterprise (non-personal) mode that has several data sources, including on-site SQL databases.

When I go to the Power BI portal, I can see these data sources:

sc1.png

Loki is the name of our gateway.  I would like to use the "Platform" data source to create reports using the Power BI portal.  However, when I go to the "Datasets" of an application, I can't see any of the data sources that I had added in the gateway:

sc3.png

How would I be able to see the data sources that I added in the Gateway in my Data Source on the Portal?

The datasources will show when you click on Gear Icon -> Settings -> Datasets. Is this where you are trying to see? 

Hi There - 

This is what I see when I go to Gear > Settings > Datasets:

https://www.screencast.com/t/hERROws1K1

Here is what I see in my data gateways:

https://www.screencast.com/t/fkdVSxgxVFtk

There IS a a greyed out dropdown in the first screen that says "Gateway Connection" but it is greyed out on each data source.

Thanks for the screenshot. It says invalid credentials. I think the credentials you use in the datasource and the credentials you used to develop in desktop should match. Can you confirm if they both are same?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors