Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Mbalcarek
Helper I
Helper I

Accessing Power BI on-premise gateway from different tenant

Hello: when trying to configure a gateway in the Power BI service (Tenant1) website (app.powerbi.com) (Settings; Manage Gateways), we get the following error: 

"we could not register this data source for any gateway instances within this cluster power bi".

Since an on-premise gateway is already configured on an Azure VM server where the data is (Tenant2), I expected I could just use it in tenant 1, but that is not the case and is the reason for the error.  This on-premise gateway is using tenant2 power bi credentials and creates a "gateway cluster" in tenant2 power bi service (settings; manage gateways). Tenant1 is unaware of this gateway cluster. 

ANS: we needed to add a new "gateway cluster" in Tenant1 which pointed to an on-premise gateway in Tenant2. This is done by installing the 'on-premise' gateway on a server that have access to the data (tenant2), but using Power BI credentials of Tenant1 (where the new cluster is needed) .  A bit confusing, but it works.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

What you have done is the only way for it to work.

The reason being, is when you sign in it registers the On-premise Gateway against the tenant to which the account resolves to.

Currently there is no other way to get it done.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

What you have done is the only way for it to work.

The reason being, is when you sign in it registers the On-premise Gateway against the tenant to which the account resolves to.

Currently there is no other way to get it done.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors