Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Shawn_Eary
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Accessibility Misunderstanding?

A client I work for is claiming Power BI is not compliant with the American Disabilities Act (ADA).  The said client states that if the Power BI deficiencies are not corrected, the said client's organization could potentially be sued by their customers and/or lose large amounts of federal funding.  For this reason, my client wants to abandon Power BI in favor of a competing solution.

Can someone at Microsoft or a suitable expert comment of the status of Power BI ADA compliance and point to me to resources I can use to avoid this potential "boycott"?

3 REPLIES 3
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,@Shawn_Eary 

Thank you for coming back to share this information again. We believe that Power BI will get better and better.

If you have any subsequent requests, you can post them in Given FeedBack , and the product team will see them more easily.
If you encounter any problems in the process of using Power BI, you are welcome to post your questions and we will do our best to solve these problem for you!

Best Regards,
Caitlyn Yan

Seems, I just overreacted and "jumped the gun" on this one.  With appologies...  You all can do whatever you need with this post.  Best!!!

Shawn_Eary
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

I talked to my client again about this and the client pointed this out to me among other things:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-accessibility-overview
Unfortunately, I'm not as familiar with ADA as I should be, but I will look at that for now.  So I don't think an all out "boycott" will be happening immediately, but my client is evaluating the options.

I am very sorry for this.  I may have originally posted "misinformation" when I questioned if Power BI was ADA compliant.  It seems to me that Power BI can be ADA compliant but that it may pass some of the burden of compliance onto the report developer.  Again, I totally apologize if I've misunderstood the truth.  Here is an interesting post from Meagan Longoria:
https://datasavvy.me/2020/09/17/stop-letting-accessibility-be-optional-in-your-power-bi-reports/ 

I wish I had Binged a little more before posting here...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors