Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

BSLATTER
Helper III
Helper III

Access to DataFlows without a Pro license?

Hello,

We are planning to set up our organization with DataFlows on a Premium capacity. CAn we have users connect to it and build reports without having a Power BI Pro license? The users would like to build reports using the DataFlows for their own use but we do not want to have them share with others.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BSLATTER ,

Dataflow capabilities are available for Pro and Premium licenses. The Free users have no access to the dataflow.

You may refer to the links:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-power-bi-data-prep-wtih-dataflows/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-connect-dataflows

Best Regards,

Amy

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BSLATTER ,

Dataflow capabilities are available for Pro and Premium licenses. The Free users have no access to the dataflow.

You may refer to the links:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-power-bi-data-prep-wtih-dataflows/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-connect-dataflows

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Amy, I have reviewed the links.

My question is around DataFlows in a Premium capacity workspace. If a user has a Free license but is accessing a Premium capacity workspace that contains a workflow, can they access/use this workflow in Power BI Desktop?

Hi @BSLATTER ,

Yes, the Free user in an organization with Power BI Premium license can access/use this workflow in Power BI Desktop .

Best Regards,

Amy

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

I would think if they are using Power BI Desktop they will be able to connect to the dataflow.

They could then create reports and upload it to "My Workspace" which would allow them to view the reports.

If they shared the reports people viewing those reports would then require a Power BI Pro license.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks Gilbert,

I'd like to be able to confirm. My understanding is that to build using a Dataflow on Power BI Desktop you would need Build permissions (I think, hard to test without Premium). 

If that's correct I guess my question can be restated as - can you be given Build permissions without having a Pro license?

Hi there

Could I confirm you are talking about a dataflow and NOT a dataset?

The reason that I ask is build permissions apply to datasets

Power BI Blog

Apologies you're right. I'm referring to dataflows, not datasets.
Please ignore my statement on build permission

No worries.

I do think that even a free user would not work.

The reason is as far as I know a Free user can only access reports and dashboards that are shared via an App on Premium Capacity.

Power BI Blog

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Interesting question, adding myself to the thread.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors