Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cosmicyes
Helper II
Helper II

Access to Apps

Dear all,

maybe I misunderstand something, I ask for help.

Let's say I have in a workspace 2 reports: A and B.
Furthermore, I have one user, User1.

User1 has no direct permission on the workspace.
User1 has permission on report A.
User1 has no permission on report B.

I create an app that contains both reports A and B.

Now I authorize User1 on the app.
What I expected: User1 sees the data from Report A in the app, but not from Report B.
What happens: User1 sees the data from Report A AND Report B.

Can someone help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @cosmicyes 

You are correct, in your scenario User1 sees both ReportA and ReportB, as both reports are in the App, and sharing the App with the user gives them access to all the content in the App, irrespective of the sharing that may have been done in the Workspace.

If you want User1 to only see ReportA, then don't include it in the App, but of course all other App users will not see ReportA either.

However there has just been released a change to Power BI Apps, which will allow different "Audiences" to see different content in an App, and will enable you to do this sort of this sort of thing.

see:Announcing Public Preview of Multiple Audiences for Power BI Apps | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Micros...

Note that if you update the Workspace to use the new App experience, you are unable to revert back to the old and that this is still a "preview" which means it may be subject to bugs and change.

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @cosmicyes 

You are correct, in your scenario User1 sees both ReportA and ReportB, as both reports are in the App, and sharing the App with the user gives them access to all the content in the App, irrespective of the sharing that may have been done in the Workspace.

If you want User1 to only see ReportA, then don't include it in the App, but of course all other App users will not see ReportA either.

However there has just been released a change to Power BI Apps, which will allow different "Audiences" to see different content in an App, and will enable you to do this sort of this sort of thing.

see:Announcing Public Preview of Multiple Audiences for Power BI Apps | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Micros...

Note that if you update the Workspace to use the new App experience, you are unable to revert back to the old and that this is still a "preview" which means it may be subject to bugs and change.

Hope this helps

Stuart

@Burningsuit 

aaaah! I think I understand.
I think I have already updated the workspace...
If I have the possibility to add different audiences then it should be the new version, right?

So in my case I need to set up 1 audience to see A and B and another audience to see only Report A, right?

This would be absolutely great!

Yes, that's right. "Audiences" are great things in the new Apps.

So you can set up for one group of users to see A and B and another group to see just A. But be a little careful, the new App experience seems to have a few glitches (look at the other community posts to see some of the problems). That said I'm using it now in Training and it's working well for me.

Hope this helps

Stuart 

I will role out this very carefully 🙂
Thanks a lot!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors