Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Access level necessary to configure Row Level Security

Hi All,

can someone tell me which workspace roles can configure row level security?

I have a user, who has a contributor role and is a dataset owner and he doesn't see the security tab when he clicks on more options on a dataset.

I am wondering if this is because he is a contributor?

If yes, then can someone point me to a documentation from Microsoft that states that? I was searching on my own but couldn't find anything definitive...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on my test, a contributor in new/V2 workspace can't configure Row Level Security. 

According to my understanding, a contributor only has read-only permission to the dataset, and has no editing permission, so he cannot configure PLS. But I haven't found any official document that indicates this.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on my test, a contributor in new/V2 workspace can't configure Row Level Security. 

According to my understanding, a contributor only has read-only permission to the dataset, and has no editing permission, so he cannot configure PLS. But I haven't found any official document that indicates this.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Icey  and @collinq ,

thank you for your help!

I thought that's how it works but I was looking for some official documents...

Are you also aware if this was changed recently? Because my user was still able (as a contributor) to edit the RLS in June 2020

I also noticed that as a contributor you cannot manage the permissions to the dataset and as a Member you can "Add members or others with lower permissions", so maybe this would cover RLS as well...

Thanks anyway!

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

This link shows the basic permissions levels for Admin, Member, Contributor and Viewer:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-new-workspaces#roles-in-the-new-workspaces

Here is how the RLS is setup:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-rls

That said, RLS is setup in the desktop file.  Then, in the Service, you add the members.  Therefore, a user that has access to the dataset can set up the RLS on the Service.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors