Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ruda

Access data through the Gateway

I configured the Gateway on my server on a private network.
I logged into PowerBI (online) and set up a connection to a SQL Server database.

This SQL Server is not accessible in any way directly.
Only localhost works

I don't have any data set created yet.
I'm on Power BI Desktop trying to create a report using this Gateway with the connection created.
But I can't use it.

How do I do that?

8 REPLIES 8
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ruda ,

Has your problem been solved?

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ruda ,

Is the server in your gateway the same as the server in the database?

It is recommended that you first create a report and publish it to Power BI Service, then click Settings -> Gateway connection to configure the gateway.

aaa11.PNG

In addition, I would like to confirm that you can not complete this step?

aaa13.PNG

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

But how will I create the report if the database is not accessible. In other words, do I have to create the reports on the server? Install the Desktop on the server?

Hi @ruda ,

Since your Power BI Desktop client and database server are on the same machine, shouldn't you enter the'localhost' server name when you use Power BI Dekstop to connect to the database? The same is true for configuring the gateway.

Isn’t your local database server name ‘localhost’?

ddd9.PNG

ddd10.PNG

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

Power BI Desktop is not on the server, but on the station. What is on the server is the database and the gateway. As I said the bank is only accessed localhost.

Hi @ruda ,

"Power BI Desktop is not on the server, but on the station. What is on the server is the database and the gateway...."

Please put the gateway application in the station. The gateway application should be with the Power BI Desktop application.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ruda ,

Is your gateway application and database server on the same machine?

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

Yes. The communication between the gateway and the database is already working perfectly. The problem I have found is no way to create a report using this gateway connection.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors