Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Access Denied to Reports by PPU Account

I have been using a Pro account and everything was fine.

Last week I upgraded to a Premium Per User account because I need some of my datasets refreshed more than 8 times per day. But apparently the default “My Workspace” won’t pick up the new license,so I had to create a new workspace and publish all previous reports to this workspace again.

And here is the thing, no one in my organization can see those reports in the new workspace. With the link I shared with them, they got a “No permission for the underlying dataset” error. So I went back and set all of them as Viewer in the workspace. Then they got a “You need a premium account” error.

Am I missing something here? What else do I need to do for them to see the reports? Or is it that reports by premium accounts can only be viewed by other premium accounts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

Users must have a Premium Per User (PPU) license to access content in a Premium Per User (PPU) workspace or app. You can grant access to users to the workspace who don’t have a PPU license, but they will receive a message stating they cannot access the content. 

image.png

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-per-user-faq#end-user-experience 

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Can you please make sure that both your reports and datasets are sitting in the Premium App Workspace?

Once that is done try and assign a user a view role?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes they are. I think they are put in the same workspace by default.

I deleted the existing ones, published the report again to the premium workspace, and gave access to a few co-workers to test it out. Still the same. 

Hi @Anonymous ,

Users must have a Premium Per User (PPU) license to access content in a Premium Per User (PPU) workspace or app. You can grant access to users to the workspace who don’t have a PPU license, but they will receive a message stating they cannot access the content. 

image.png

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-per-user-faq#end-user-experience 

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see. Thank you for the clarification.

So it looks like the easiest way to enable the entire organization is to get the premium per capacity account. Is there a limit on how many people within the organization can have the access? And what is the limit if so? 

Hi @Anonymous ,

At most, you can share with 100 users or groups in a single share action. However, you can give more than 500 users access to an item. Here are some suggestions:

• Share multiple times by specifying the users individually.
  • Share with a user group that contains all the users.
  • Create the report or dashboard in a workspace, then create an app from the workspace. 

Reference:

Share Power BI reports and dashboards with coworkers and others 

Best Regards,
Winniz

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors