Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

AUTOMATED POWER BI REPORT FROM SHAREPOINT LIST

Hello,

I am a very novice user of POWER BI and SharePoint (Using free version of Power BI)

What I am trying to achieve is:

A) I would like to have a SharePoint list (which individual employees add information to and update regularly)

B) I'd like this list to act as the data set in Power BI to generate a chart

C) I'd like to embed this chart into SharePoint page

D) I'd like the chart to update and display current data as more information is added by users to the SharePoint list

A-C I have a handle on, but am struggling with getting the data from SharePoint list (as updated) to update in PowerBI live, and then display the most updated chart in the embedded Power BI in SharePoint....

Can anyone help or suggest solutions?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey
unfortunately, is not possible with a free license.

Regards,
Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jar2019
Helper I
Helper I

How are you reading the dataset from SharePoint? You might need to go into settings on powerBI Service. Then go to datasets. Then go to your report that you built. Then make sure your credentials are set up. Then Schedule Refresh. Voila. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Worked perfect! The dataset is now updating as scheduled, and updates also if I click REFRESH NOW

My last issue is getting the embedded code to show the updated report on the SharePoint page...

Is this possible?

Since I am on the FREE PowerBI I had to use "Publish to Web" to get an embed code, and then use the SharePoint webpart "Embed Code" to add the Power BI Embed Code so the Power BI report shows

Hey
unfortunately, is not possible with a free license.

Regards,
Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

I’m glad it worked! Keep in mind that your end users will not have a refresh button so it truest is my automated in that sense. Just set a schedule up and you will be gold. Publish to web gives the whole wide world access to the data so be certain there is not any confedential data included in your report you aren’t willing to share with everyone.

If I answered your question please mark as answered.

Also, share point uses a rest API and will automatically update every few minutes and after the browser has been refreshed

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors