Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RCrom
Frequent Visitor

APPS permissions

Hello,

At this current moment all our users have acces to the workspace. However, we want to switch to using the APP function. We created the app and started testing. We removed the permissions to the workspace of certain users and gave them rights to the APP. Now those users get the message they dont have rights to the dataset. We checked and the users have permsisions to the following things:

1. The APP

2. Datasets (APP reading permisions)

3. Analysis service that contains the data

4. Read permsisions on individual dashboards.

The users can see all the reports in the app, but when they try to open them they get the error of having insufficient permsisions to the dataset. For us the admins the app works great. 

We dont want users to be able to edit and download the reports. Do all users need rights to the workspace to view the APP? Or what is required for them to just read the APP?

Thx in advance.

Greetings Robin.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
swise001
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@RCrom 

Sometimes in Power BI Service there can be a bit of a lag between when you make changes to when those changes actually populate for users.  From your description - it sounds like you have done most things correct.   I would first suggest following up with those users to see if their access has been restored.  

In most APP only deployments - business users are NOT invited or permissioned to the workspace holding the App.   However, they must be permissioned to the underlying dataset powering the App (using Read permission).   Sounds like you have done this.   Are you using security groups?  If so - you may want to check to make sure these users are in the security group membership.  

If there is Row Level Security on the dataset - the users must also be placed in a role - or they will receive a message about the data being restricted.  

If you don't want users to be able to connect to the underlying dataset to 'build' their own models or do ad-hoc reporting - then do not grant them 'build' permission.

Again - it sounds like you have done everything correctly - but if the users are still having issues - please share some more info about your model and deployment and I'll do my best to help. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
charringtonBW

I am having a simliar issue users get the message: sorry, we couldn't find that report (it may have been deleted or you may not have access to view it...) when trying to access drill through reports, the report is unhidden so they can see it's there but it will not let them see the content. 

I have tried changing the app setting to Allow all users to connect to the app's underlying datasets using Build permissions but that does not work. 

the only way I can get them to see the report is if I give them view rights in the workspace which I don't want to do for everyone

-Charrington

swise001
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@RCrom 

Sometimes in Power BI Service there can be a bit of a lag between when you make changes to when those changes actually populate for users.  From your description - it sounds like you have done most things correct.   I would first suggest following up with those users to see if their access has been restored.  

In most APP only deployments - business users are NOT invited or permissioned to the workspace holding the App.   However, they must be permissioned to the underlying dataset powering the App (using Read permission).   Sounds like you have done this.   Are you using security groups?  If so - you may want to check to make sure these users are in the security group membership.  

If there is Row Level Security on the dataset - the users must also be placed in a role - or they will receive a message about the data being restricted.  

If you don't want users to be able to connect to the underlying dataset to 'build' their own models or do ad-hoc reporting - then do not grant them 'build' permission.

Again - it sounds like you have done everything correctly - but if the users are still having issues - please share some more info about your model and deployment and I'll do my best to help. 

Thanks for the reply. I will try with the users after the weekend. 

Hopefully by then the permissions are pushed trough and we can start rolling out the app for all users.

Greetings,

Robin

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors