Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

theder

API support for programmatically generating Paginated Reports like in SSRS

Hi!

I was exploring if Power BI Paginated Reports was supporting API:s for programmatically generating and downloading reports such as the APIs provided by good old Reporting Services.

I found the thread linked below, which concludes that the support is not there yet? How is the progress with this, or is there any other way that one could externally generate and download a Paginated Report that resides in Power BI?

SSRS reports in PBI premium - API Call to download CSV or PDF reports 

BR

//Thomas

17 REPLIES 17
chrisfin
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

There are plans to implement a render API for paginated reports and allow you to download that programmatically, yes.  I'll chat with rpatkar about that.  🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @chrisfin 

We need to change the database based on user Login. Is there a wya of doing this?

We have a mining ERP system that was developed using .net.

Each client has a different database (i.e. not one cloud database where you just have to select the company).  We want to embed Paginated Reports but it does not allow parameters for the Server Name and Database Name like Power BI.  We can use URL parameters to set other parameters but it is not available for the Server and Database parameter settings.

We also investigated the possibility to use a paremeter in the connection string for the DataSource (Server name and Database Name) but have problems passing the value to the parameter.

We want to use the same workspace and/or Apps for all the clients (i.e. not duplicate everything for each company).

How can we select the correct (1) Database and (2) Company based on User Login ID?

Many thanks

Chris Finlan is right. I misread the question about programmatically generating reports to mean something else. Thanks for the correction @chrisfin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any update as to when PaginatedReportExportConfiguration will be available as per?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/reports/exporttofile

Thanks

It'll be released the last full week in March.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @chrisfin 

Just wondering if the paginated report export to file API is ready?

I see it is also mentioned here that it was anticipated by now:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/export-report-to-pdf-pptx-and-png-files-using-power-bi-rest...

Thanks

Yes, it is rolling out this week.  We won't have the doc updates until Monday next week because of the holiday schedule for the team publishing them, but it will be there in all capacities by the end of the week.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feeback @chrisfin 

Enjoy the break

Hi!

Yes, by "programmatically generating" I meant something like "rendering via API", that is - functionality similar to what is possible in the older SOAP-based API:s provided by SSRS.

By supporting this, one could use PBI Paginated Reports as a PaaS-based report renderer for including in everything from Logic Apps to other solutions.

BR

//Thomas

Are there any updates on this yet?

It is a high priority backlog item with no ETA yet

where can we find the roadmap for Paginated Reports?

a few clients are looking for sub-reports, subscriptions, data driven subscriptions etc...

It would be great to have visibility into the roadmap for Paginated reports.

Subscription support is already in place, subreports and data-driven subscriptions are planned in the coming months (subreports work is starting now, basically).  We're focusing on RDL parity at first, and the server-side features in SSRS over time. 

Where can I find data-driven subscriptions, this is the main features a client is interested in?

Also when is the Rest API going to be available to manage Paginated Reports?  SImilar to the API in SSRS?

Thank you

--
Christian | VP, Business Intelligence
www.designmind.com

Same here, any update on this?

Where can we find the Paginated Reports Roadmap?

thank you

rpatkar
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

hi Thomas,

Team is working on adding API suppport for uploading and downloading Paginated Reports from PowerBI.com service. Programmatically generating reports in service is not in plans, that should be done outside service; curious, what scenario are you trying to enable through programmatic generation? Thanks.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @theder ,

I'd like to suggest you to contact to power bi team to know more about this. Current this feature still by design and they haven't shared any further release plan about it.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors