Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Vamshi2020
Helper II
Helper II

API Key authentication in Gateway

Hello Everyone, 

I need your help for one of my Power BI Task. I am getting data to my Power BI Report from Web API . In Desktop, Iam using Apikey as request header to get the data to Power BI , but when iam adding datasources to gateway with Web API i cant find out the option to provide API Key as Authentication . I can only see Anonymous, Windows, Basic, AAD . But i have only Url and Api key . can someone help me how to provide API key as authentication for Web API Data source in Power BI gateway.

TIA

7 REPLIES 7
Vamshi2020
Helper II
Helper II

@lbendlin , I cant see any option in Power BI service under gateway as Header section . could you help with screenshots

All you do in the gateway is specify the base URL of your on-prem web source. Choose anonymous login and skip the test.  That's it.  Everything else (including the header and the POST payload)  are done in the actual request that the gateway receives from the service and hands over to the on-prem web source.

@lbendlin So, will this get the latest data from API whenever refreshed?

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Use anonymous authentication (like you did on the desktop) and skip the connection check.

@lbendlin , How do i pass Api Key as authentication header in gateway

Same as you do in the desktop - in the header section of Web.Contents calls

@lbendlin I cant see any option in Power BI service under gateway as Header section . could you help with screenshots

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors