Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

lnel

API Call Credentials Invalid

Hi, 

I suddenly have a 'The credentials are invalid' error for my various API calls to 2 different systems via an API key. Everything was working fine for weeks. If I try to edit the credentials, it gives me the "A web API key can only be specified when a web API key name is provided" error. 

If I try to edit the settings, it now looks like a JSON call and I cannot edit the HTTP Header or insert the API key. 

My CSV calls are working fine. I cannot rebuild the query, as it also gives me the 'A web API key can only be specified...". 

I am using a gateway and it is on. 

What could be the issue? Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lnel

I managed to solve it! The datasources stopped trying to login "Anonymous" and were now on "Basic" mode.

After I tried your suggestion I actually got a different error: 

The 'X-SmartToken' header is only supported when connecting anonymously. These headers can be used with all authentication types: Accept, Accept-Charset, Accept-Encoding, Accept-Language, Cache-Control, Content-Type, If-Modified-Since, Prefer, Range, Referer

Based on this error, I f
ound the solution here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Remote-API-Access-to-data-source-sudden-errors/td-p/627973

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
lnel

I managed to solve it! The datasources stopped trying to login "Anonymous" and were now on "Basic" mode.

After I tried your suggestion I actually got a different error: 

The 'X-SmartToken' header is only supported when connecting anonymously. These headers can be used with all authentication types: Accept, Accept-Charset, Accept-Encoding, Accept-Language, Cache-Control, Content-Type, If-Modified-Since, Prefer, Range, Referer

Based on this error, I f
ound the solution here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Remote-API-Access-to-data-source-sudden-errors/td-p/627973

Thanks!

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@lnel 

Please refer to the solution in this post: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Get-data-from-web-error-A-web-API-key-can-only-be-specified...

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

It would appear from what you are saying that there might be an issue with the credentials.

What happens if you try and query the API with the Key using Postman, is it successful?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors