Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

catlclaw

ADFS- Deep Link to Dashboard

My users using ADFS3 and can do SSO to Office365. To go to Power BI, users has to click Power Bi button at the upper left corner and then redirect to Power BI dash Board. 

How can I create Smart Links/ Deep link URL?  I like to email user the smart link/deep link URL so they can go straight to dash board

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
ky3kwok
Regular Visitor

May I know any solution for ADFS SSO to Power BI? We encountered this problem.

We have sign on to ADFS successfully. Then, paste the Power BI link in the browser, it will prompt to the Power BI

ky3kwok_0-1627034808244.png

User needs to type the email address again (and no need to type the password), the Power BI reports will be shown then. 

ky3kwok_1-1627034827504.png

Any advice?

greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

When you share a dashboard or report, there is an option to send an email notification with that share action. This would include a link directly to the dashboard or report in question.

Yes, we can send the dashboard URL in email but user needs to enter email address before it can redirect back to IDP. I want to have same SSO when user opened the link from email.

here is SSO URL 

https://login.microsoftonline.com/login.srf?wa=wsignin1.0&whr=adfs.XXX.com

If I have already authenticated for O365 in a browser, I do not have to re-enter my credentials when navigating directly to a dashboard URL.

True. It works if user already login to Office365. My gold here is how to generate Smart link so eliminate the login to O365 id users is not log in

Thanks

Have you tried the following?  I noticed the parameter listed in this doc is different from your SSO url.

Using smart links or IdP initiated authentication with Office 365
https://community.office365.com/en-us/w/sso/using-smart-links-or-idp-initiated-authentication-with-o...

Also, i know when i setup ADFS in my own environment, It allowed for pass through if i was in my local network. I had to enable Windows Auth on the ADFS server though, as it was disabled by default.  If I was outside of my network, I was presented with the forms auth login page. This worked for Power BI without having to deal with a smart link. I'm not sure exactly what your environment is.

Adam W. Saxton | Microsoft Employee | Business Intelligence
@GuyInACube | youtube.com/guyinacube

I just need to clarify, SSO works for user on local network. Outside network user has to authenticate to ADFS Proxy. The issue here is if I share the dashboard, user open the link in email they have to log in to O365 first. This is because the link in email does not use WHR which tell O365 who's the tenant is. Once user enter email address at O365 login it is redirrect correctly to my ADFS.

I noticed, after user SSO to O365, click Power BI button will redirect user to this 

https://login.microsoftonline.com/common/oauth2/authorize?client_id=871c010f-5e61-4fb1-83ac-98610a7e...

Is this Power BI usinf Oauth2 as another federated system from O365 to Power BI?

Thanks

i'm not sure. Let me see if i can find out.

Adam W. Saxton | Microsoft Employee | Business Intelligence
@GuyInACube | youtube.com/guyinacube

Is the resoution provided above is the solution, please advice as I am also facing the same problem.

Ah gotcha, I don't know that that's possible yet.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors