Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KevinSGoff
Helper I
Helper I

A general question on Power PI Premium licensing (and the scope)

I work for a company that has several divisions.  (Each company has separate divisions, separate web portals, but we're all under one public-traded company)

One of the divisions recently got Power BI Premium.  Now, it's being paid for out of the corporate budget, but being used by the one division.

I work for one of the other divisions (ironically, a larger one) where we don't have Premium.  We  have Power BI Pro and we've been research/testing Power BI Embedded.   However, "we" don't have premium.

OK, I'll ask what seems like a stupid question.  Since the Premium license is being paid by corporate, does that mean that "every" division under the company gets to make use of it?

In my division, I'd love to not have to monitor the usage for Power BI embedded and get the overall advantages of PBI Premium, and "use" the Premium license that the other division is using.  But obviously, only if that stays within the terms of the Premium licensing.

If this helps....each of our divisions has a certain amount of independence, in that they have their own domain, web portal, etc.  But still governed "overall" by corporate.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Kevin

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Here's the kicker. Do your divisions have independed Active Directory forests, or is it all in the same forest?

Power BI Premium has a concept of "Tenant"  (as has O364) so that's your deciding factor. One tenant, one premium.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors