Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

exwalt4346
Frequent Visitor

403 Forbidden error when publishing to service from desktop after refreshing a table

I have a report built off of a couple enterprise data sources and static Excel sheets that does not have a scheduled refresh on the service, all updates are refreshed in desktop and then the report is re-published.

I have had never had issues with publishing the report, though recently if I just refresh any table in desktop and then try to publish to the service, I receive the following error: "An error occurred when attempting to publish 'xxx.pbix': The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden."

If I download a copy of the existing .pbix from the service and then open in desktop and publish as is, the report publishes with no issues. However if I refresh any table and then try and publish, I get the above error, even if there has been no changes in the source data feeding the table.

I've also tried uploading the .pbix directly from the service also and that is not working (the upload begins and then ends almost immediately), and have tried publishing to a different workspace and getting the same errors. The error remains regardless if I refresh a table derived from a static Excel file or from an on-premise data source.

Any guidance would be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
exwalt4346
Frequent Visitor

A solution was found for this issue. The problem seemed to lie with imported visuals in the affected reports, as traces on the 403 error provided the reason of: "Message: R installation not found. An R installation wasn't found in this location. Please follow the instructions provided in the VHow to install R". This persisted even if any of the imported visuals were not actually being utilized in the report in question. The issue was resolved after removing all imported visuals from the visual pane, including those not being actively used in the report. After this, the reports were able to be republished successfully.

A similar issue and solution (including removing visuals) is detailed in the related topic: No R Installation Detected - Microsoft Power BI Community

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
exwalt4346
Frequent Visitor

A solution was found for this issue. The problem seemed to lie with imported visuals in the affected reports, as traces on the 403 error provided the reason of: "Message: R installation not found. An R installation wasn't found in this location. Please follow the instructions provided in the VHow to install R". This persisted even if any of the imported visuals were not actually being utilized in the report in question. The issue was resolved after removing all imported visuals from the visual pane, including those not being actively used in the report. After this, the reports were able to be republished successfully.

A similar issue and solution (including removing visuals) is detailed in the related topic: No R Installation Detected - Microsoft Power BI Community

MAwwad
Super User
Super User

This error usually occurs when you do not have the proper permissions to publish the report to the Power BI Service. Check with your administrator to make sure you have the necessary permissions.

You can also try clearing the cache of your browser and attempting the publish again. If this doesn't resolve the issue, try repairing or reinstalling Power BI Desktop and the on-premises data gateway.

Thanks for the quick response. On your suggestion I did clear cache from browser as well as within Power BI Desktop, and then cleared all permissions and re-established credentials yet am still seeing the same error. Tested with other reports within Desktop and with a non-refreshed/updated downloaded copy of the report in question and have had no issues publishing; still only seeing the error when I refresh any part of the report in question in Desktop and then try to publish.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors