Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

novpbi

300MB excel file and growing with multiple sheets with calculation

I am trying to figure out the best way to get the power BI connection secured with premium. Here is my scenario:
I have around 300 mb excel file which has another 10 sheets that have data entry and validation. There are 3 other excel files smaller like around 10 to 15 mb which connect to the same power BI report.
Now this excel and power BI are being stored in a shared drive. Everyone usng the report has free license and power BI desktop installed.
Now my question is since this is a large content, what are my options, I am considering:
1. Move the excel source files into SHarePoint where the data entry is done and publish the power BI report into a premium workspace for embedding into some team site. Is there a way to just append new data with the existing excel data already imported? Will this reduce the refresh interval or performance will be better?

2. Use an on prem sql db, migrate all the content into a SQL db and have a power Apps form to write to the sql with new data and BCS connection to view the data from sql db. Will this be faster and better approach?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @novpbi ,

You could try to use Incremental refresh.

About  move the excel source files into SHarePoint  you could refer :Incremental refresh for files in a Folder or SharePoint – Power BI.

And if you try to use sql server ,refer :how-you-can-incrementally-refresh-any-power-bi-data-source-this-example-is-a-csv-file

You can refer to the article above and make a comparison to choose the right one for you.

Best Regards

Lucien

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @novpbi ,

You could try to use Incremental refresh.

About  move the excel source files into SHarePoint  you could refer :Incremental refresh for files in a Folder or SharePoint – Power BI.

And if you try to use sql server ,refer :how-you-can-incrementally-refresh-any-power-bi-data-source-this-example-is-a-csv-file

You can refer to the article above and make a comparison to choose the right one for you.

Best Regards

Lucien

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors