Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jonas1
Helper I
Helper I

2 gateways for one user

Hi, 

I have currentely been deploying some scripts from Python to Power BI. I am already using an on-premises gateway from our servers, but needed to set up a personal gateway as well to be able to schedule refresh for this new report. 

Should my personal gateway appear automatically under gateways in the Service? Even though I am logged in to my personal gateway it is only my on-premises gateway that appears. 

Furthermore, my pc is not turned on all the time. Will this be a problem as long as I have my computer on when the refresh is scheduled? 

Kind regards, 

Jonas

3 REPLIES 3
TeigeGao
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Jonas1 ,

If you are going to install both PowerBI Gateway and PowerBI Gateway Personal mode on the same server, it is possible to do that, but if you are going to install multiple PowerBI Gateway or multiple personal Gateway, it is not possible.

Best Regards,

Tiege

Why not just use the enterprise gateway and put the files or data in a place that can be reached by the enterprise gateway?  You really should only need one gateway.  The gateway is to bridge between on premise and Azure.  ONce you have the bridge, you shouldn't need to bridge anywhere else.  You shouldn't store your data locally if you want to share it with anyone else.  It should be put in another non laptop location.

@u02cm62  no, for Python- and R scripts the Power BI team says that you need to use the personal gateway. The reason is that it needs to be on the same laptop as you made your scripts (with all libraries and programs). Not a good solution I think, but let's hope this will change. 

Thanks @TeigeGao , I can now connect to both the on-premise and personal gateway. I still have the the gateway will turn off when I shut down my computer though. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors