Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lordtopcat
Helper I
Helper I

15 minute refreshes - is Power BI the right tool?

Hi,

Looking for some feedback or suggestions to whether Power BI is the right tool for my requriements. (Note, we already use PBI in our organization but not for this...)

We are an apple company which picks packs and ships around 5 million cartons of apples a year. We own and operate 3 packhouses and would like to display "live" (the business defines live as 15 minutes) data to the packhouse operators so they can monitor how their staff are performing. 

I initially thought about a streaming dataset to a dashboard, but then I really hate the dashboarding tool. It's very limiting and we have specific styles of how our Power BI reports are structured which does not fit in with using a dashboard. We also have a use case for a couple of custom visuals which are not supported in dashboards.

I then got excited about the new feature I read about in the October update about the automatic refreshing tiles - yay but only every 30 minutes on Pro or lower with Premium. We currently only have 20 PBI users, and we are in no way able to justify Power BI premium at a ridiculous $7k per month just for this project.

So, now I'm stumped and as much as I love Power BI reports, I'm really not sue if it's going to work for this business case. Can anyone please rescue me with a brilliant solution that I haven't thought about?

Cheers!

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I thought that there was a way to do this with Direct Query (so that it is "live" data and then display the report in a browser and use a tool/plug-in that refreshes the page every so often. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler wrote:

I thought that there was a way to do this with Direct Query (so that it is "live" data and then display the report in a browser and use a tool/plug-in that refreshes the page every so often. 

I did think about this by simply installing an automatic brower refresh plugin to refresh the page but wondered if this would be considered "tacky"? 

Well, it probably wouldn't be considered "enterprise grade" but, as you stated, the enterprise grade option is $7K per month. (more like $6K if you get the right CSP).

Another potential option that I know @MattAllington was writing a blog series on at one point. Ah yes, here they are:

https://exceleratorbi.com.au/affordable-power-bi-premium-for-small-business-part-1/

https://exceleratorbi.com.au/affordable-power-bi-premium-for-small-business-part-2/

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors