Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

M12
Frequent Visitor

unable to configure Power BI report server to Oracle

Hi,

I have created report in power BI report server desktop using Oracle server which i need to save as in "report server" however i do not know how to configure the report server for oracle instance. so i would require help in "report server configuration manager" for oracle. when i am trying to add server name in report server configuration manager, it is taking my local hostname. attached for the reference.

need help in adding oracle server Name, DB name and save as"report server"

M12_0-1661842193204.png

thanks,

M12

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @M12 ,

Prerequisites:

A development machine with Power BI Desktop Latest version, SQL Server Data Tools and Oracle Data Access Component (ODAC) (Both 32 bit and 64 bit) installed, connectivity to an Oracle database 11g or higher, a computer with SQL Server 2017 Analysis Services (Tabular Mode), latest version of Power BI Report Server and ODAC installed. (32 bit version of ODAC is required for Visual studio\ SQL Server Data Tools, and 64 bit version is required for Power BI.)

Once ODAC 32 bit and 64 bit versions are installed, please add "tnsnames.ora" files in the \product\<version>\....\Network\Admin folders which got created as part of ODAC installations.

Add a TNS entry similar as follows in the tnsnames.ora files to connect to the oracle database:

<TNS name>=

(DESCRIPTION=

(ADDRESS=

(PROTOCOL=TCP)

(HOST=<IP address of the oracle server>)

(PORT=<Port Number>)

)

(CONNECT_DATA=

(SERVICE_NAME=<Oracle database service name>)

)

)

We may have multiple entries as the above for each Oracle database we would like to connect.

Next, configure Power BI Report Server. Locate "Microsoft Power BI Report Server" -> "Report Server Configuration Manager" from start menu to launch the report server configuration tool.

For original post, you can refer to Oracle Database Connectivity in Power BI Report Server 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
M12
Frequent Visitor

thanks for reply.

but i donot have SQL server tools and SSAS in my instance.

is it possible to connect directly to Oracle database without SSAS?

Regards,

M12

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @M12 ,

Prerequisites:

A development machine with Power BI Desktop Latest version, SQL Server Data Tools and Oracle Data Access Component (ODAC) (Both 32 bit and 64 bit) installed, connectivity to an Oracle database 11g or higher, a computer with SQL Server 2017 Analysis Services (Tabular Mode), latest version of Power BI Report Server and ODAC installed. (32 bit version of ODAC is required for Visual studio\ SQL Server Data Tools, and 64 bit version is required for Power BI.)

Once ODAC 32 bit and 64 bit versions are installed, please add "tnsnames.ora" files in the \product\<version>\....\Network\Admin folders which got created as part of ODAC installations.

Add a TNS entry similar as follows in the tnsnames.ora files to connect to the oracle database:

<TNS name>=

(DESCRIPTION=

(ADDRESS=

(PROTOCOL=TCP)

(HOST=<IP address of the oracle server>)

(PORT=<Port Number>)

)

(CONNECT_DATA=

(SERVICE_NAME=<Oracle database service name>)

)

)

We may have multiple entries as the above for each Oracle database we would like to connect.

Next, configure Power BI Report Server. Locate "Microsoft Power BI Report Server" -> "Report Server Configuration Manager" from start menu to launch the report server configuration tool.

For original post, you can refer to Oracle Database Connectivity in Power BI Report Server 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.