Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gvasquez
Regular Visitor

subscriptions parameters empty

View in subscriptions:

image.png

View when running report:

image.png

Hi,

We are running 14.0.600.398 and are seeing an issue with query backed parameters in subscriptions. The report will run and the parameter dropdown will work in the regular report. However, when trying to create or change a subscription "entity" parameter above shows no options. I was seeing the other issue of "Something went wrong" but that seems to have been resolved in .398.

21 REPLIES 21
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gvasquez,

I can also reproduce the issue in Power BI report server August preview version 14.0.600.398. If the parameter values comes from a dataset query, parameter values will not be listed when we create a subscription. 

w2.PNGw1.PNG

But if the parameter values is specified values, parameter list is available for us to choose when we create a subscription. 

w4.PNGw3.PNG

In your scenario, if the Entity doesn't have too many values, you can try the specified values for parameter temporarily. 

@mgmeyer@riccardomuti@chrisfin Please help look into this issue. Is it a known issue? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I wish I could unfortunately there are about 400 options in that parameter. Thanks for the help though, and I'm glad someone else can reproduce it.

>>>If the parameter values comes from a dataset query, parameter values will not be listed when we create a subscription.

Thanks for reporting the issue. We apologise for the inconvinience.

A fix for this issue will be available in the upcoming GA release later this year.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any updates on this, we are running the Oct 2017 release and are still experiencing this issue with being able to Enter a Value for a parameter that references a Shared Dataset. All we see is the Select All option like the issue posted here and no values like we currently see in our SSRS 2016 environment.

Thanks.

hi Dan, I am not yet able to repro the issue on Oct 2017 build. Can you please help by providing the following information:

1. build number (from '?' / 'About Power BI Report Server' menu item)

2. any error you see in browser F12 or in log file (typically C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Report Server\PBIRS\LogFiles\ReportingServicesService*.log)

3. does the issue repro after you clear the browser cache?

Thanks!

ScreenCap.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

1. Build number - Version 1.1.6514.9163 (October 2017)

2. No Error messages are being put in the ReportingServicesService*.log file with any information details, just every time we go into the subscription it states the following: 

3. Get the same issue in Chrome and IE

These reports are referencing Shared Datasets and the values are cascading, so based on another parameter value selection that is filtering the list of values.  This works in SSRS 2016, but not working in PBI RS Oct 2017.

So maybe it is because of the filtering from the first parameter value?  Does that work for you if you set a parameter up like that?

ssrs_parameter_subscription_issue.PNG

Thanks Dan, that helped! We are able to repro the issue with cascading parameters now; its a product bug. Only workaround I can think of is to specify values in report definition as suggested earlier in this thread. Apologies for the inconvinience caused. We will fix the issue soon and will let you know once a newer build is available to download.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any ETA on a Preview build for us to check or a fix for this cascading parameter issue? Thanks!

hi Dan, we are planning on a CU update before end of February next month. A fix for this issue will be available in that release. Thanks.

Has this been released yet, resolving the bug>?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing has been released yet this month that I have seen. Still waiting for this to be resolved and the next release / preview of Power BI Report Server.  A few security and fixes have been released since October, but nothing to resolve the cascading parameter issue for subscriptions that I am aware of or can see in the changelog.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/changelog

hi Dan,

Can you please try upgrading to the build out on download center Version 1.1.6582.41691 (Build 14.0.600.442), Released: January 10, 2018. We think the fix for cascading parameter bug actually made it into that build. In the changelog there was a bug fix mentioned as Model.GetParameters returning 400 which we think will cover the cascading parameter issue as well.

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

With the March 2018 release of Power BI Report Server the subscription cascading parameter issue has been resolved.

Unfortunately it appears that this release has introduced a new bug now with all of our Report Headers and Footers and making references to Parameters! in expressions we are getting #Error on expression logic. I will add a new item to Forums for this issue, but this one for sure is a show stopper.

hi Dan, apologies for the delay on this. Team is currently working on releasing the next update to Power BI Report Server (in March) and that release will contain a fix for this issue. Since this bug is not a security issue, we will likely not patch the October release with the fix.

@rpatkar, can you clarify your response regarding patching the October release? Does that mean only users who have installed the June 2017 version will be able to fix this issue when the new release comes out next month?

My team is on Version 1.1.6514.9163 (October 2017) and eagerly awaiting a fix for this issue because it is preventing us from migrating 150 subscriptions from our old server to our new one.

You will be able to upgrade to the newest build from October 2017 release (or also from June 2017 release if someone has that installed instead). By "patch" I meant we will not release an updated October 2017 installer with just this bug fix but rather release a newer build containing additional features and more bug fixes (including fix for this particular issue).

Hope this helps,

Rohit

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds good, thanks for the update!

Anonymous
Not applicable

:'( figures. I am glad I was able to assist with the details. Keep me posted once the fix is available (hopefully in the Dec preview...haha).  Thanks for looking into this so quickly, greatly appreciated.

Thank you for raising this issue, as we had also been experiencing the error.

We are looking forward to the fix.

Thank you for raising this issue, as we are also experiencing the issue.

I am eagerly awaiting the fix.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.