Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Malavi
Frequent Visitor

sharepoint folder as a data source

Hi guys,

Is that possible to refresh the Power bi files(reports) which are getting data from a sharepoint folder?

I can connect my power bi desktop to sharepoint folder with no issue with Microsoft Authentication. However, when I upload this to report server, it does not refresh. When I try to use microsft authentication in Data source setting, it doesn't have that option. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Malavi wrote:

I can connect my power bi desktop to sharepoint folder with no issue with Microsoft Authentication. However, when I upload this to report server, it does not refresh. When I try to use microsft authentication in Data source setting, it doesn't have that option. 

So if you are using Microsoft Account authentication not Windows authentication then this means you are probably trying to connect to Sharepoint Online, not an on-prem instance of Sharepoint. If this is the case then the answer is - No, it's not possible to setup scheduled refresh against Sharepoint Online. Report Server only supports scheduled refresh against on-prem Sharepoint data sources.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Malavi wrote:

So if you are using Microsoft Account authentication not Windows authentication then this means you are probably trying to connect to Sharepoint Online, not an on-prem instance of Sharepoint. If this is the case then the answer is - No, it's not possible to setup scheduled refresh against Sharepoint Online. Report Server only supports scheduled refresh against on-prem Sharepoint data sources.

FarhanAhmed
Community Champion
Community Champion

Yes you can refresh from Sharepoint Folder

Power BI report data sources in Power BI Report Server - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Check out what authentication method that you are using

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/data-sources#list-of-supported-authenticatio...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.