Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

setup

I have a report server 2017 Enterprise SQL. I was hoping to upload pbix to this server.

I can do so by using upload on the protal and the apps appear as power bi apps on the portal - but I can only then open them using power bi desktop - I am expecting to open them in a browser?

I have power bi desktop and when trying to save my pbix file - I cant find the report server either.

On the portal I also do not have teh download option of power bi? Is something set up wrongly on this server? Thanks for any advice.

I have been told there is software assurance in place - which I belived was the key to allowing pwer bi apps?

3 REPLIES 3
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

So there are 2 versions of the Report Portal. "SQL Server Reporting Services" and "Power BI Report Server" the main difference between these 2 is that only the second one can render PBIX files in the browser and the second one is licensed by either an enterprise agreement with software assurance or a Power BI premium license where as the first one is included with SQL Server Standard or above. 

So it sounds to me like you have a "SQL Server Reporting Services" install. To get the Power BI rendering you would need to uninstall and re-install the Power BI version. (which you can get from https://aka.ms/pbireportserver

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your answer d_gosbell.

Would the option of either or  have appeared in the general sql install?

Can I install side by side for evaluation purposes rather than interupt my existing install. Will this change just the portal or the report server instance and report server dbs?

Thanks

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for your answer d_gosbell.

Would the option of either or  have appeared in the general sql install?

No, they don't include Power BI Report Server with the SQL installer.

@Anonymous wrote:

Can I install side by side for evaluation purposes rather than interupt my existing install. Will this change just the portal or the report server instance and report server dbs?

I don't know about the side by side scenario. You can specify different base urls for the portal and webservices and a different database, so it might be possible. I have seen documentation on migrating from SSRS to PBIRS, but the side by side scenario is not something I've tried or seen documented anywhere. Power BI Report Server is not just a portal update, it includes additional web services and I'm pretty sure that also involves changes to the backend databases.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.