Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rwmnau
Helper I
Helper I

"Server is not reachable" when opening particular report from Server in Desktop

I have a report that, starting this morning, is not rendering in Power BI Server (January 2021 - 1.10.7698.27886) - when I load the report, the circle in the middle spins for maybe 30 seconds, and then it disappears and I'm left with a blank screen. When I attempt to open it in Power BI Desktop (using the "Edit in Power BI Desktop" button, Power BI Desktop shows the loading screen for a few seconds and then shows a "Server is not reachable" error:

rwmnau_0-1619454260658.png

Reports that I haven't touched since our upgrade to January (from September, I think) a week ago are working just fine - this is happening to both new reports I published last week and a report I updated last week through Power BI Desktop. 

Looing at the details, it seems like it has something to do with accessing a file:

Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenError.HandleError(IWindowService windowService, LocalizedString title)

PowerBINonFatalError:
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.88.2361.0","ModuleName":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.dll","Component":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenError","Error":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenException","MethodDef":"HandleError","ErrorOffset":"114"}

Is anybody else seeing this error or can provide some help?

I've confirmed the other reports are displaying as expected and I can edit them in Desktop directly from Server, so it isn't a firewall or connectivity issue - it's only happening in reports that I've published or updated since we upgradeds to the January release.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@rwmnau 
Did you also update to the newest Desktop version for RS? Maybe try resave the report to the sever, then try edit again. 

I did not experience this error but maybe you can refer to this fix:
Power BI Report Server – fixing the “Server is not reachable” Error – Random Procrastination (gosbel...

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@rwmnau 
Did you also update to the newest Desktop version for RS? Maybe try resave the report to the sever, then try edit again. 

I did not experience this error but maybe you can refer to this fix:
Power BI Report Server – fixing the “Server is not reachable” Error – Random Procrastination (gosbel...

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors