Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gourd_J
Helper I
Helper I

"Query execution failed for dataset" on a paginated report

I have a paginated report users run directly on our Power BI Report Server 2017. It contains 10 datasets that access different cubes in our SSAS MD database. If one of the cubes is unavailable when the report is run by users they get an error of "Query execution failed for dataset ____" and the report does not show. Not a friendly message.

Is there a way to elegantly handle this error and inform the user that there is an issue with the data source?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Balkrishnan
Helper II
Helper II

I am also getting same error , but the report works fine in Power BI report Builder.

image.png

@Balkrishnan , this is not the same issue as I and having. My data source is unavailable.

For you, on the server did you go into the Manage\Data sources and set your Connection string and Credentials appropriately?

Any Help on this.

@Balkrishnan as you can see no one is going to help us on this thread now.

In the future, when you have your own question - make your own post your the forum. If you think your problem is the same as someone elses then simply follow that thread.

When you add your reply to an existing question the post's thread looks like it has activity and other people are less likely to follow up on it because they think it is now being answered. When a post has no replies people are more likely to take a look at the question and try to help. So in the end neither of us is likely to get any help now because there are multiple replies to the post  😞

Yes Connection string and Credentials are set correctly.

So only i am able to open this report from workspace using Power BI report Builder.

The problem is when i open the same report from Power BI Service. The parameter are displayed but when loading data i get error.

Query execution failed for dataset 'DataSet_'.
I have three datasets. I can see them in Report Builder.

@Balkrishnan ,

I am getting the same issue you had. Were you ever able to resolve it?

Kind Regards, 

Annemie

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.