Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

problem with paginated reports, pbi-reportserver on non-standard ssl-port

hi all,

i hope that somebody can help or at least point me to a possible solution as this issue is driving me crazy.

we are serving 3 websites (intranet on port 443, power bi rs on port 4000 and old ssrs on port 5000) on this server, the intranet via iis (own development) and the 2 report-server-portals.

all important features are working so far, my old reports can be viewed on the new power bi rs server (on prem, licensed via SQL EE with SA), pbix are working and nearly everything is fine.  

for a long time i developed all rdl reports in visual studio and uploaded them to the portal so the following issue wasn't encountered before.

after setting up the new power-bi server and planning on rolling out the features to the endusers, i tested to build - or open existing - reports with the small report builder that is downloadable when using the link "+ -> paginated report".

when i try to open an existing report, i get the error message "path is too long or doesn't start with a '/'". this message is shown in the report builder and you can find it in the server log.

when the report builder opens, i can successfully connect to "https://server.domain.tld:4000/reportserver" and i can see all reports. it's also possible to open a report. previewing the report in the report builder results in an "404 - not found" error.

the server in the status bar at the bottom shows adress above without port 4000 but it says "connected" and i have a "disconnect" link.

my guess is, that only the reportbuilder has a problem with the non-standard-ssl-port. when i changed the port for this pbirs instance to 443 (temporarily shutting down the intranet before) everything was working like a charm.

power bi desktop on the other hand doesn't seem to have a problem with this configuration. it's possible to open the pbix with the edit link in the portal and the report can be modified and saved flawlessly. it's also possible to open power-bi-desktop, create a new report and save it to the pbirs.

any ideas, hints? do you need more config informations? i didn't wanted to include to much config-details to keep this post as short as possible.

thx so far for reading this post :).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

MS confirmed that this is a bug in SSRS and PBIRS and that it won't be fixed as long as customers aren't submitting a corresponding request. I just wanted to clarify this also in this thread, so that it might help anybody who's experiencing the same issue in the future. 

See this link for MSs answer:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/936bd9e6-0605-40cb-8e9e-3310370d0b6b/bug-in...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

MS confirmed that this is a bug in SSRS and PBIRS and that it won't be fixed as long as customers aren't submitting a corresponding request. I just wanted to clarify this also in this thread, so that it might help anybody who's experiencing the same issue in the future. 

See this link for MSs answer:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/936bd9e6-0605-40cb-8e9e-3310370d0b6b/bug-in...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.