Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

garythomannCoGC
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

power bi report builder - parameter property - "allow blank value"

Revisting  Power BI Report Builder  (SSRS in my case) after some years and wondering how the  'Allow blank value ("")'  property works in Power BI Report Builder?

Had a play with a report I am tasked with fixing but the 'Allow blank value ("")' property does not seem to do anything.
The parameters to this paginated report are all multi-value.  Values for these parameters are sourced via some with dax querys and some with direct values inputed.
I even tried entering a parameter value of "" as seemingly suggested by the ("") suffix to the property label 🙂 with no luck.

Any directions or pointers to articles that thoroughly detail its usage would be appreciated. I have tried but can not find as yet a good definitive article.  Let alone an article highlighting the effects of combining  'Allow mulitple values' and 'Allow blank value ("")'  parameter properties.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
garythomannCoGC
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Mmm somehow the only reponse got upgraded to 'Solved!'  Hilarious, wasn't me.

Anyway still no answer to the 'Allow blank value ("")' property nor documentation.  All my parameters have 'Allow multiple values' set.   So maybe that is the issue, when not a multi-value parameter then the setting does something exciting :}

I have decided to as a work around to set

'All' to mean give me everything including blanks. 

'NA' to mean 'blanks'.

'blanks' can be any of  blank, null, 0, ‘Select’, ‘NA’, ‘Not Applicable’, "", " "  as there is lots of interesting data :}

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
garythomannCoGC
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Mmm somehow the only reponse got upgraded to 'Solved!'  Hilarious, wasn't me.

Anyway still no answer to the 'Allow blank value ("")' property nor documentation.  All my parameters have 'Allow multiple values' set.   So maybe that is the issue, when not a multi-value parameter then the setting does something exciting :}

I have decided to as a work around to set

'All' to mean give me everything including blanks. 

'NA' to mean 'blanks'.

'blanks' can be any of  blank, null, 0, ‘Select’, ‘NA’, ‘Not Applicable’, "", " "  as there is lots of interesting data :}

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @garythomannCoGC ,

Power BI Report Server is based on SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), it brings the ability to work with Power BI reports completely on premises in addition to all the other capabilities of SSRS.

Regarding your question, perhaps you can refer to the following article to see if it can give you some help.

Your  Reporting Services  report has a multi-value parameter, but it does not display NULL in the parameter drop-down list along with other parameter values. in SSRS, multi-value parameters cannot contain NULL values, so the user cannot filter NULL values in the data.
However, sometimes user requirements indicate the need to be able to filter data for NULL values, so in this article below, the authors demonstrate in detail how to allow NULL values in multi-value SSRS report parameters.

Allow NULL value in Multi Value Report Parameter  

Also,you can refer to some troubleshooting situations:

passing null values in reportviewer control parameters 

Hope it helps,

Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

garythomannCoGC
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Note to self to cross check with these issues

Unable to use "Allow null value" on report builder 15.x version 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.