Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PrashanthK

power BI report server

Hi All,

I am new to the Power BI Report Server.  I understand that Power BI reports can be published to Report Server connected to Sql Server Database in the Project Server 2016 (on-premises) environment, as an example.

Can someone please help me understand the statement "Power BI Report Server offers the flexibility to move to cloud". Does it mean, Report Server can also connect to Project Online? or to Sql Server on Azure? 

I would request more details on this "flexibility to cloud"....what exactly it means?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

6 REPLIES 6
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PrashanthK,

Power BI report server is a on-premise solution behind firewall. The same Power BI reports you create for Power BI Report Server can work in the Power BI service and even continue to query your on-premises data via the On-premises Data Gateway, so when you’re ready to adopt the cloud, you can take your reports with you and take advantage of the Power BI service’s additional features such as Dashboards, real-time/streaming data, natural-language query, and more.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thankyou qiuyu. Additionally, is power Bi service as Secure as report server, since data is exposed to internet? In general, does in house publishing offer more security than publishing to power Bi service?

Hi @PrashanthK,

Power BI service is secure, you can see: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-power-bi-security. 

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-qiuyu-msft, can you please update with a working link?  Thank you.

Thanks again!! However, the suggested link is no lonfer available but there are pointers to the below links: ThankYou!!

Power BI admin portal - Power BI

PrashanthK

Hi All,

I am new to the Power BI Report Server.  I understand that Power BI reports can be published to Report Server connected to Sql Server Database in the Project Server 2016 (on-premises) environment, as an example.

Can someone please help me understand the statement "Power BI Report Server offers the flexibility to move to cloud". Does it mean, Report Server can also connect to Project Online? or to Sql Server on Azure? 

I would request more details on this "flexibility to cloud"....what exactly it means?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.