Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LoraBennett
Regular Visitor

oData Data Source Credentials issue

Hello all

I've mananged to publish 3 Power BI reports to our PBIRS successfully, all have in-built data source connections to oData, with the string provided from the published report themselves. 

Though despite the report being uploaded with an authentication type of Organization, when it gets to the server it's defaulted to Anonymous and therefore fails to reload.

I've tried changing this to both windows and then to basic, providing it  with the Power BI service account  credentials(which has an admin PWA licence and a Power BI Pro licence), however it tells me that my login or password is incorrect.

I've also asked another PWA Admin (who refreshes the same Power BI reports manually) to try his credentials to see whether it an issue with the service account however he also gets the same error.

Capture.JPG

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I eventually raised this with Microsoft themselves and got a response...connection to SPOL or POL is not possible with PBIRS.

Basically, Sharepoint Online REST API uses Forms Authentication and PBIRS doesn't support the forms authentication as Power BI Service does. Due to this Power BI Desktop can't authenticate against the REST API using OData type connections.

You can use Sharepoint Online Type connections to build a report against the SPOL site but this type of connection is not supported for server side refresh operations therefore would require manual update by the report designer, which means editing the report and pulling data  and saving to PBIRS again.

In a nutshell, computer says no.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I have similar problems.

In fact, all this account service thing do not have much documentation.

Can we have help on this?

thx

I eventually raised this with Microsoft themselves and got a response...connection to SPOL or POL is not possible with PBIRS.

Basically, Sharepoint Online REST API uses Forms Authentication and PBIRS doesn't support the forms authentication as Power BI Service does. Due to this Power BI Desktop can't authenticate against the REST API using OData type connections.

You can use Sharepoint Online Type connections to build a report against the SPOL site but this type of connection is not supported for server side refresh operations therefore would require manual update by the report designer, which means editing the report and pulling data  and saving to PBIRS again.

In a nutshell, computer says no.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.