Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AlexanderAT
Helper I
Helper I

not a legal oleaut date - cannot refresh

Hello

I'm having a problem refreshing my report online. Everything works fine on the desktop version where I can easily update my dataset, but when uploading it and trying to refresh I get the following message:

Last refresh failed: 

Data source error:Not a legal OleAut date.. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface. Table: ProfileScore.
Cluster URI:WABI-NORTH-EUROPE-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID:d9bc7478-5268-4bda-b634-728909e93f60
Request ID:8704eef6-6818-d9d5-fcad-ac50182d9685
Time:2018-10-11 09:27:47Z

I have read the other post with the same issue but those solutions do unfortunately not work for me.

Anyone know how to fix this error? 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
hansvanhoeij
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi there,

Dit you check the actual datevalues in your table? You most probably have a date before 1/1/1900 in one of the date fields in the table you're trying to load.

Kind regards,

Hans

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Maryann
Helper I
Helper I

Is there a way to turn off this check.  Technically they are valid dates.  What if a museum wanted to categorize their artifacts by date?  they can't? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just for those who got this problem also, as i did.

As stated above, i checked my data and found 1 entry with the year 0033. Once i corrected that problem, my data refreshed OK.

@Anonymous wrote:

As stated above, i checked my data and found 1 entry with the year 0033. Once i corrected that problem, my data refreshed OK.

This should be added as a #bug and be marked as error in PBI desktop since PBI service can't handle it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe, but isnt the problem the underlying data rather than the app?

@Zunair wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This should be added as a #bug and be marked as error in PBI desktop since PBI service can't handle it.

Maybe, but isnt it an issue with the data rather than the app?

Sure the data has a problem, but it should be caught in the desktop app before it gets caught in pbi service. Especially since pbi desktop suppose to show the errors in the new error check chart.

I agree wholeheartedly with @Zunair . If the data is unacceptable in service, the desktop app should flag/warn/prohibit. At the same time, it would be preferable if it simply accepted valid dates.

I agree, the error given by the Report Server (is our case) is inadequate. There is nothing other than a basic error message so it is a case of trawling through all tables with date columns!

Loading the PBIX in Power BI Desktop doesn't help too much as the refresh completes successfully.

hansvanhoeij
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi there,

Dit you check the actual datevalues in your table? You most probably have a date before 1/1/1900 in one of the date fields in the table you're trying to load.

Kind regards,

Hans

Is there any way to convert dates before 1.1.1900 for the whole table? I have a bunch of tables with several columns including dates before 1.1.1900. Those dates come straight from ERP database and most of those cannot be changed in ERP GUI, (without manipulating the database). 

Maybe some power query string? Table.ReplaceValue ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JPNOP 

I would use switch for that:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/switch-function-dax

In that scenario you could simply replace any value before or on that date and then specify what you want as an output 🙂

Hope that makes sense

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.