Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

licensing to share Power BI reports internally with Power BI Report Server on premise

From what I read, you need a Power BI pro license to publish reports to Power BI Report Server.

If we install Power BI Report Server based on getting SQL Server Ent with Software Assurance (NOT Power BI Premium), can internal users that DON'T have Power BI Pro license get access to Power BI reports published to the report server by a user with Power BI Pro?

Thanks in advance

---I just found my answer thanks to the resources already in this group.   Blog https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2017/05/17/a-closer-look-at-power-bi-report-server/ says "Either way you license Power BI Report Server, “publisher” users who publish Power BI reports to the report server for others to access need Power BI Pro licenses, whereas “reader” users who merely view reports don’t need any per-user licenses."

1 REPLY 1
KBO
MVP

Hi,

for example you need one licence to puplish the reports to the PBI RS If you only use them to upload reports you don't need any further licence. But If more people publish reports you need for anybody who upload a report to the PBI RS a Pro licence. If the people only view a report you don't need a pro licence.

If this helps?

Best,

Kathrin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.