Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

installation error PowerBI Desktop Report Server March version

First, I was able to install on my machine (Win 10) with no issues.  However, I was unable to install on a colleague's machine.  Since I have admin privileges, I do the install for him and we have never before had a problem.  He has a Win 7 box.  Today, we got an error: "The specified path is too long: <Path here>".  Clearly this is incorrect since the path for me would be exactly the same length and I installed successfully.  So we manually created the path the installer wanted, and then got this error:  "Error getting file security: <path here> GetLastError: 50"  

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Re: installation error PowerBI Desktop Report Server March version

Did you have this resolved yet? I am getting the same issue with no avail. Thank you.

Frequent Visitor

No, sorry, I haven't heard anything about it.  I have to admit I am little bit relieved to see someone else having the same issue.

Regular Visitor

Hi @pbrase,

For this error  "The specified path is too long: <Path here>", you just need to rename the file name or folder name to a short one. It will solve the error. And regarding second error, I'm not sure but it's may be due to Admin privileges

Thanks and Regards

Piyush