Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

excel services access to external ODC files stored on PBIRS

I have Excel files stored on PBIRS along with their external .odc files. I have worked out how to construct and add URLs pointing to these .odc files on the PBIRS (using the new REST service /Resource endpoints). This works fine when the Excel file is opened on a local workstation. However, when the Excel file is opened in the PBIRS itself via OOS, we get an error about need a license to access .odc file. It is not clear if this is the real error. The question is: is there something we can do to allow Excel Services to access the .odc files via http on the PBIRS?

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

An intermim solution is to have a central windows share containing the .odc files. This also works fine locally but OOS seems to have no way to refresh data when the .odc connection points to a share? It just shows the static data when last saved and there is no way of getting it to refresh in OOS?

chrisfin
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Unfortunately it's looking for a SharePoint license, since the only supported scenario for using .odc files are when their hosted and accessible from SharePoint server when using OOS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems more complex than this. I get the same error if I store the .odc on Sharepoint and point the Excel files there. Also, I have some test files with the .odc on PBI server that work fine in the same OOS. The test that works uses an Oracle connection with saved username/password but the non-working ones use SSPI to SQL server, if that is relevant.

There are several online sources that say that this error is uninformative and means that the OOS needs upgrading.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.