Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

doubts with connectivity and databases

hello the doubt that I walk frequently is the following, I am new to power bi but I joined a company like trainee they left me practically alone with power bi, and because the project is already underway I lost a lot of basic knowledge, at the beginning it was difficult but it is being a very high learning load. Going back to my doubts and the next, I got into a debate here, to find out with the best way to connect a database to the power bi, the first option: creating a super database with all the tables and then listing them , and from it create the reports, or second option: create a database for each segment such as financial report create a database only with the financial tables or create a production report and then get a database with only production information.

obs: Or if there are none of these alternatives, which one do you recommend or find the best

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Absolutely the first option (having a company wide, well maintained data dictionary without contradictions, and with a well staffed data stewardship team) is preferable as it avoids all the duplications and misunderstandings of the second option. 

Humans seem to have difficulty finding the time to do things right, but they will happily spend that same time trying to mend hopelessly broken things. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Absolutely the first option (having a company wide, well maintained data dictionary without contradictions, and with a well staffed data stewardship team) is preferable as it avoids all the duplications and misunderstandings of the second option. 

Humans seem to have difficulty finding the time to do things right, but they will happily spend that same time trying to mend hopelessly broken things. 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Realistically the second option is unfortunately more popular, mostly because teams have different data privacy and security requirements.  Financial data subjects have very different sensitivity than internal support cases, for example. If you go for a unified company wide data mart you need to have the option for solid segmentation  (object level security) which Power BI is just about to introduce. 

You can still coordinate between the data islands so that everybody is at least aware of each other.

Anonymous
Not applicable

so as you said that unfortunately the second option is the most used. Would it be better to make the first option?

or another option better in your opinion

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.